carnegieXchange: School of Sport

Sport Development graduate tells us how she secured a job working at the National Trust

Former Sport Development student, Fran Musgrave tells us about her motivations for choosing the course at Leeds Beckett, and her new role as Active Outdoor Development Officer at the National Trust.

sport development graduate on graduation day in cap and gown

“I chose to study at Leeds Beckett University because of the strength of the course, the heritage of Carnegie School of Sport and the passion and knowledge that the staff had in the area of sport development. I felt at home on the campus and loved the all the sport facilities available.

I now work at a National Trust property, where my role involves getting more visitors active and providing further opportunities for participation. I manage the onsite cycle hire alongside working with a variety of external stakeholders who enquire about using the parkland for events. I applied for the job after graduating and although I might not have had the years of industry experience that other applicants had, all the projects and experiences I got on my course allowed me to demonstrate my knowledge and skills, helping me to secure the role.

My main piece of advice to someone looking to study Sport Development would be to take every opportunity given to you but try to maintain a good work-life balance. It's not all about getting a 1st, it’s also about the experience and the friends you’ll make along the way - enjoy your time in Leeds.”