carnegieXchange: School of Sport

Physical Education alumni graduates with first class honours degree

Hamza Mohammed tells us about his time studying Physical Education with Outdoor Education modules and discusses becoming the first male in his family to gain a degree.

Published on 13 Jan 2020
Hamza at work with children on the playground

“I chose the BA (Hons) Physical Education course with Outdoor Education modules because of my love of PE when I was at school. My experiences of outdoor activities whilst at college helped me in my decision about what type of degree to study and the pathway I would take. I also felt that the degree would help me keep my options open as I was unsure of the kind of career I wanted.

This degree has been invaluable in giving me the skills and experiences to go out into industry and work with young people within primary and secondary schools. I particularly like when I can apply the theoretical knowledge gained from my degree programme and apply it to real life settings. I currently work for a number of different organisations that go into schools, communities and businesses to deliver inclusive physical activities, lifelong skills, and health and well-being programmes.

What I enjoy most about my role is that I can go home at the end of the day feeling proud that I have helped others gain not only essential life skills like leadership and working with others but am encouraging them into lifelong activity. The other advantage of my job is that I am constantly learning, which I enjoy.

My love of learning is now being put to good use through my enrolment on a Masters by Research degree. I study this full time alongside my work. My area of study is one I am passionate about because of my own experiences and background. I am studying how South Asian communities engage with natural green spaces as developing understandings in this area will be of benefit to a community I am part of.

I’d say that my greatest achievement to date is that I am the first male in my family to gain a degree – which was a first class honours degree. This is particularly special as I never thought this possible when I was at school. Leeds Beckett gave me this opportunity and I am pleased that I am continuing my relationship with the University by undertaking further studies here.”