Leeds United were looking for six students to help within their commercial team to deliver and enhance their match day experience at a home game.

The opportunity was offered to second year Sport Business Management and Sport Marketing students within the Professional Practice in the Sport Industry module.

The module aims to encourage students to engage with a variety of experiences within the sport industry in which to observe, enquire, participate, contribute and learn in suitable employment environments.

The university’s strong sporting partnerships and alumni network mean students gain insight and experiences from a range of industry relevant environments.

On the day the students undertook paid work alongside the commercial team to support the match day experience.

Graduate Matt Gibson, Marketing Executive at Leeds United, said: “It’s hugely important for students to be given the opportunity to experience working in the industry they’re studying to go into.

“The jump from education to work is sometimes hard for students to visualise and we’re proud to offer undergraduates a taste of what working commercially for a professional sports team might look like.”

Second-year BA (Hons) Sport Marketing student Jonah Charnock took part in the experience. He said: “I was interested in this position initially for the experience. I want to undertake a placement with Tottenham Hotspur in June, and I thought this experience would look good on my CV.

“This opportunity has helped develop my communication skills, attentiveness, organisation and knowledge of the job. It is possible I will be taking on similar tasks at Tottenham should I get the position, so it’s great to have this experience and broaden my horizons.

Matt regularly supports students at Leeds Beckett, having previously returned to campus to speak as part of an industry insight panel for Sport Marketing and Sport Business students.