carnegieXchange: School of Sport

Sport Business Management student secures job as Assistant Producer for International Management Group

Connie tells us about her time on the Sport Business Management course and how she secured her job with International Management Group (IMG) after applying for their Advantage Trainee Scheme whilst at university.
Published on 04 Mar 2020
connie on camera in front of london bridge

I chose my course at Leeds Beckett University because I knew that I loved sport and wanted to work in an open-minded, hands-on industry, which would include elements of creativity. For me, the Sport Business Management course at Leeds Beckett ticked all of those boxes. There are a range of opportunities available on a vocational course like Sport Business Management which meant that I had the freedom to tailor my modules and work experience to make my CV versatile.

I am currently working as an Assistant Producer for IMG (International Management Group) where I work within Sports Broadcasting. My role is broad and includes the entire process of pre to post-production broadcast of sports content. Some days I'll be researching potential athletes to film on shoots and coming up with content ideas, other days I’ll be interviewing and filming on site. Every day is different, I have just got back from a week-long shoot in Hong Kong filming alongside French skipper Francis Joyon, who has held the World Record to solo-circumnavigate sailing around the world. Whilst also interviewing Ng On-Yee who is ranked second best female snooker player in the world!

Whilst at university I got the opportunity to apply to the IMG Advantage Trainee Scheme - a yearlong graduate role that allowed me to oversee different productions from working with the Premier League and Rolex to the Euro League Basketball and the International Federation for Equestrian Sports, which I absolutely loved. This experience was also beneficial to my course as so much of what I enjoyed about the Sport Business Management course was it involved being able to apply the theory we had learnt into real-life working environments. Our lectures really encouraged this way of learning and its invaluable for applying for future careers beyond university. I was able to gain so much from the information gathered from lectures with industry experts and always remembered their advice was to get yourself out into the real world of work and seek experience.

My main career highlights are filming a shoot with Premier League News to interview Ross Barkley at Chelsea's training grounds and working on the 2019 Men's Rugby World Cup, which meant having my work seen on TV. My advice to anyone looking to study a Sport Business Management degree would be to get as much experience as you can. Take the experience first and the cash will come later.