carnegieXchange: School of Sport

How a graduate is helping to bring the Olympics into our homes

Throughout July and August, many of us will be glued to our social media channels and news apps to keep up-to-date with the 2020 Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic games.

Image of running track

What you might be less aware of is the key role that a Carnegie School of Sport graduate has in making sure that the official Olympic videos and news stories you’re viewing are as good as they can be.

Gareth Brown, who studied BA (hons) Sport Business Management, has recently been appointed as Business Insights Manager for the International Olympic Committee, and has quickly taken a hands-on role in helping to grow the games’ digital platforms.

He works with a new digital engagement department, looking at how to connect social, marketing, and content to improve the IOC’s digital offering.

Gareth will be a familiar face to many Sport Management students from the school, having already given several guest lectures, where he offered advice to those looking to get their foot in the door in the industry.

Even though he graduated in 2013, Gareth still uses many of the techniques and skills he picked up while on his course, as part of his day-to-day job.

Gareth said: "It has been almost 10 years since I graduated from Leeds Beckett University, yet many of the learnings and friendships I developed I still have in place today.

“As Business Insights Manger at the International Olympic Committee I am fortunate enough to continue leveraging my research, analytics, reporting and broader sports marketing foundations from my studies in my role.

“The core competencies of contextualising and interpreting disparate data sets, using analytical storytelling to inform meaningful decision making and developing impactful reports are all critical skills that I used at university and continue to use in my job today."

Find out more about the Carnegie School of Sport