Don`t flip out this Pancake Day!
Celebrate Pancake Day
We've got 2 types of sweet pancakes on offer in the Food Courts throughout Pancake Day for only £1.50 (Tuesday 13th February)!
2 x Crepe pancakes with a choice of three toppings.
Top it off with Lemon Juice, Caster Sugar, Nutella, Golden Syrup or Maple Syrup.
Cooking at home? Try Melissa’s perfect pancake recipe!
Flipping, stacking and covering pancakes are just some of the joys of Shrove Tuesday. Here's how to make your own thanks to our Development Chef, Melissa Hudson!
- Place the flour, sugar and salt into a large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Put the butter into a small pan and place on a medium heat. Gently heat until it turns to a beurre-noisette (brown butter). Be careful not to burn – you know when it’s done when the butter is light and golden brown with a light nutty smell and flavour.
- In a medium sized jug whisk together the eggs milk, melted beurre-noisette butter and a touch of water (approx. 50ml).
- Make a well in the flour and sugar and gradually pour the liquid mixture in. Whisk until the batter is smooth. Use a stick blender at this stage if necessary.
- Leave the batter mixture to rest for approximately ½ hour before using.
- Place the frying pan onto a medium heat and add a small amount of butter. Swirl it around the pan until it has melted. Add a ladle full of mixture to the pan and tilt so that the batter mixture evenly spreads over the base. Leave for approximately one and half minutes then flip over using a spatula.
- Cook for a further one and a half minute. The pancake needs to be light and evenly golden brown in colour.
- Finally, place on your favourite toppings...
- Nutella, honey, syrup, bananas, seeds, marshmallows, lemon juice and sugar, whipped cream, ice cream, fresh berries...the list is endless!
Impress with these top tips...
- Leave the batter to rest for at least ½ an hour as this relaxes the gluten in the flour resulting in a lighter pancake (this tip also works when making Yorkshire Puddings from scratch)!!
- Always use a non-stick pan to ensure an even clean cook (you don’t want to be scraping off batter mix from the bottom of your pan).
- Always do a test pancake to check the heat of your pan. Remember you are in control of the heat so adjust accordingly
- The addition of a beurre-noissette enriches and gives a nutty flavour to the pancake.
- For savoury pancakes just omit the sugar
- Change the plain flour to wholemeal for a healthier option
- If you are making a large batch place a piece of parchment paper in between each one so they don’t all stick together