Centre for LGBTQ+ Inclusion in Education
Committed to challenging all forms of prejudice, discrimination and marginalisation towards individuals and collectives in schools and colleges who identify as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Queer/ Questioning and others who have gender identities or sexual orientations that differ from the heterosexual and cisgender majority.
Through our work we will provide evidence-based recommendations to support the development of LGBTQ inclusion in education.
Our research enables us to better understand the experiences of LGBTQ+ people in educational institutions, including the experiences of children, young people and staff. Through our research we provide voice and agency to those who have been marginalised.
Through research, professional learning, and the production of education focused resources we seek to transform the cultures of educational institutions so that individuals who identify as LGBTQ+ can experience a sense of belonging through a positive affirmation of difference.
Through our research projects we explore the perspectives of children, young people and staff who work in schools and colleges who identify as LGBTQ+. This helps us to understand the issues and informs the development of the recommendations which we produce.
We provide a suite of professional learning opportunities for schools and colleges to provide a forum for sharing research findings into LGBTQ inclusion. Our research supports practitioners and educational leaders to transform institutional cultures and practices.
The LGBTQ+ Inclusion in Education Award will give your school a framework for a whole school approach to LGBTQ+ Inclusion, whatever your starting point.
You will translate your school’s mission, vision and values into policies, processes and practice which support your commitment to having a rich whole school culture where all members of your school community thrive.
For more information click here.
Should you wish to complete the award, please complete this form: LGBTQ+ Award Booking form.
A community of practitioners
Annual research symposium
We run an annual research symposium to disseminate our research into LGBTQ inclusion in education.
Practitioners research network
We facilitate a research network for practitioners to support the development of effective practitioner research in educational institutions.
We work in partnership with #LGBTed
- LGBTQ+ Inclusion into the Curriculum - Fidelindo Lim, DNP, RN: Clinical Associate Professor, New York University (NYU) Rory Meyers College of Nursing
- LGBTIQ+ Teachers’ Experiences: Story and Research - Dr. Emily M. Gray, RMIT University, Australia
- Embedding LGBTQ+ inclusion into the curriculum: The experiences of LGBTQ+ teachers - Charles P. Hoy-Ellis, MSW, PhD, LCSW: Assistant Professor, University of Utah, College of Social Work
- Gender and Sexuality Diversity - Associate Professor Jacqueline Ullman and Associate Professor Tania Ferfolja, Centre for Educational Research, School of Education, Western Sydney University
- LGBTQ+ Considerations for Online Teaching in Response to Covid-19 - Roman Christiaens
- Our journey to the Gold LGBTQ+ Inclusion in Education Award, developed by Leeds Beckett University - Ben Webster, London Academy of Excellence
- What does Covid-19 mean for LGBT+ students and teachers? - Dr Catherine Lee: Deputy Dean, Anglia Ruskin University
- 5 years ago… - Dr Declan Fahie
- Case Study: LGBT Inclusion in a Primary School - Kyrstie Stubbs, Principal, Boothroyd Primary Academy, Kirklees
- Inclusivity and Diversity in the LGBTQ+ Community - Meredith G. F. Worthen, PhD: Professor of Sociology at the University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK, USA
- Why LGBTQ+ Youth Skip Physical Education and Sport and How Schools Can Help - Scott Greenspan, Ph.D: Clinical Fellow, Harvard Medical Schoo
- Domestic abuse in same-sex relationships - Professor Jonathan Glazzard, Leeds Beckett University
Join our mailing list and online community
Our online LGBTQ+ Inclusion in Education Online forum has been developed to create a community of LGTBQ+ Inclusion Educational Practitioners. To join for free please email us or call 0113 8128562.
follow lgbtq+ Centre
We engage with an active network of education professionals. Join our community and keep up to date with all the latest activities from LGBTQ+ Centre.