Why did you choose Leeds Beckett and what are you studying?

I chose Leeds Beckett University for its collaboration with the International School of Management, offering a distinctive course structure. This programme involves a year of study at the International School of Management, followed by 18 months at Leeds Beckett University. This approach appealed to me as it provided an extended and comprehensive academic experience, allowing me to benefit from the strengths of both institutions.

To find out more about our partnership with the International School of Management Studies, please visit our website. This is a great way for international students to explore our courses after starting a programme with our approved learning partners.

Upon enrolling and becoming familiar with Leeds Beckett, it felt like the perfect fit for what I had always envisioned in my educational journey. The array of unique co-curricular activities, from engaging in campus events to active participation in student union elections, being a course representative, and even serving as a global ambassador, resonated with my aspirations. I was eager to immerse myself in diverse cultural experiences by interacting with people from various backgrounds.

In terms of my academic pursuit, I am currently undertaking an MBA at Leeds Beckett University. I specifically chose to focus on Brand Management as an elective, aligning with my previous undergraduate degree in Commerce with a specialisation in Marketing. This elective choice represents a continuation of my academic journey, allowing me to deepen my understanding and expertise in a field I am passionate about.

How did you find out about opportunities with LEEDS 2023? Can you talk about your experience applying for the internship?

I learned about the exciting opportunities with LEEDS 2023 through communications from my university. Back in December, a chance arose for me to contribute to LEEDS 2023 by assisting with design and website development. This one-day opportunity allowed us to visit their office and gain insights into their operations. It was during this experience that I realized LEEDS 2023 was aligning with my aspirations.

From that moment on, I kept a keen eye on LEEDS 2023's updates and job openings through their website and our university's careers pages. When I saw they were hiring for a marketing role, I was immediately drawn to it, as it perfectly complemented my educational background.

I pursued the opportunity and applied for the position of Marketing and Communication Assistant. Landing this role felt like a dream come true, as it encompassed everything I had envisioned in an ideal job or internship. The team at LEEDS 2023 have been incredibly supportive, providing a conducive environment for learning every day. The experience has been enriching, filled with fun and amazing opportunities that extended beyond a typical desk job. It allowed me to work both in the office and out in the field, making it a fulfilling and diverse learning journey.

What are three key skills you’ve learned during your internship with LEEDS 2023?

• Copy writing and content creation
  • Website content management
  • Communication skills

How has your experience at Leeds Beckett helped you secure the internship?

My experience at Leeds Beckett played a pivotal role in securing the internship. The university's support system, particularly the careers teams, guided me on the significance of tailoring my CV and the proper approach to job applications. The opportunity to apply for this internship came through the university's opportunities portal, MyHub, which was instrumental in connecting me with this valuable experience.

What is your favourite thing about Leeds?

My favourite thing about Leeds is the Year of Culture. I am someone who deeply appreciates and engages with culture and the arts, being particularly passionate about poetry. The Year of Culture has provided me with immense growth as an individual. Moreover, the supportive community of people in Leeds, especially for a young enthusiast like myself, has consistently been an additional factor contributing to my personal growth.

Photoshoot for LEEDS 2023 including Leeds Beckett student Tejashwi Kumari.

What is your favourite thing about studying at Leeds Beckett?

My favourite aspect of studying at Leeds Beckett is the abundance of opportunities. The university offers a remarkable array of opportunities and a diverse environment that is truly marvellous for personal growth and learning. If one is seeking to expand as an individual and gain knowledge, all they need to do is explore. Leeds Beckett always has something to offer, and even if you don't find something identical to what you're looking for, there's always something similar or equally enriching waiting to be discovered.

What advice would you give to other students looking for work opportunities?

This city and university have a lot to offer, so embrace the variety. Stay open to change – it might lead you to some amazing opportunities.

Stay curious about what you're looking for and be really passionate about it. When you have a strong desire, you'll find a way to make it happen. Keep learning and don't shy away from challenges.