Tell us a bit about yourself and what drew you to Legal Practice Course

I’m Sarah and I’m studying the Master’s of Law LLM, Legal Practice Course, part-time. I love running, be it rain, wind, snow, or sun. I run for leisure; when I run, I feel euphoric, a rush of power and adrenaline, it gives me a feeling of freedom.

My other passion is The Law. For most people the law means structure, rules, and guidelines to enable us to coexist, for some it means being restricted in your freedom.  However, to me the law is a story, a story by words, a story in the form of regulations and rules. Archaic words, modern words, diversifying words. The law is ever evolving, relevant in one moment and outdated the next. The law can be challenged by many perspectives, from LGBTQ rights, to feminism, the patriarchy or by religious views - the world of law is forever changing and that’s why I’m so drawn to it. The challenges and debate of can, how and should it be changed is what interests me most.

What made you choose Leeds Beckett?

It was the tutors that made me choose Leeds Beckett over other universities.  I know Leeds and I think it is a marvellous city, however I did my research on the various institutions offering the LLM and attended Open Days based on course specification. After attending Open Days, looking around the facilities, meeting students and tutors, Leeds Beckett stood out to me, it was the last Open Day I attended. It was different; the students and tutors were sincere, happy and exceptionally welcoming. There was no pretense or guise, I asked a few questions and got the answers I was looking for. A comprehensive law presentation in one of the lecture theatres gave me all the insight I needed and after the open evening I knew LBU was the best university for me.

Tell us a bit about the Mentoring Scheme

I took part in the Mentoring Scheme, something I really recommend. The advice my mentor has given me has been invaluable. We frequently meet on teams and any queries I have in relation to careers, the LPC and work experience we discuss together. I draw up a list of action points during the meeting which help me to stay focused on my objectives. With a lack of legal experience, it has been so valuable to me to have been gifted a mentor.

What has been your favourite thing about your time studying at Leeds Beckett?

There are so many reasons I am enjoying my time studying at Leeds Beckett, I couldn’t possibly pick just one.

First and foremost, the guidance received by the tutors and the care and support on offer has been beneficial as the LLM is super intense. Speaking to friends from other universities I feel very lucky to be having such a positive experience.

Secondly the teaching methods, workshops and content are arranged so that you can get the best out of each one and are delivered with personality, passion and focus. The reading materials assist with the understanding of each workshop and every module has only added to my enthusiasm for the subject. I have relished every moment of my first year and I’m so excited to embark on my second year.

Thirdly the friendships I have made. Attending alongside a diverse range of students from varying cultures, backgrounds and experiences has fused bonds of friendship that I will cherish forever.

Lastly the whole experience of studying, although intense, has been really enjoyable. I love crafting my revision binders with all the colourful sticky tabs and highlighters. I enjoy the pre-workshop homework and the follow-up tasks. The whole experience has brought out skills and talents I never really knew I had.

What advice would you give someone thinking about studying this course?

Do it, do it, do it and never look back. Thinking back to before I started the course, I got cold feet. My thoughts spiralled to ‘this course is not for me’, ‘I am not right for this course’ and ‘I can’t do it’. The Course Director arranged a phone call with me and talked me through my concerns and those few words of encouragement were everything I needed to hear. With my first year over, I have loved every hardcore minute of this course!

The course is intense, your successes will come with immense effort and perseverance, but there is no perfect formula for success, you need to create it yourself. Good luck!