Leeds School of Arts

LSA Festival student stories: Alicia Jassner / Landscape and Design

Hi! I’m a recent graduate from the BA landscape and design course and I’d like to share my experiences from the ‘Design and Community Project’.
Visual of design option

While there is a high level of independence throughout the course, third year truly makes you realise how far you have come as a designer and the value you have for other people. 

In a group of ten students, we were offered the chance to design two courtyards of the Chapel Allerton Hospital. In comparison to previous projects, we now had a real client, a user group we needed to understand and our own group that we needed to self-organise. The first meeting in the hospital with Dr. Rory O’Connor and the two nurses Rachel Watterson and Beverly Mousa provided a personal introduction, the opportunity to clarify their wishes for the new spaces and the needs they should fulfil, as well as showing us the sites for a first impression. It primarily taught me the value of direct communication, as we adapted the brief afterwards to fit the new requirements.

Read more about Alicia's story on the Leeds School of Arts Festival Site…