University gave me so many fantastic experiences

Alumni spotlight | Heather Paxton

Woman with colourful shirt and yellow hat with glasses smiling on a her laptop
BSc (Hons) Creative Media Technology graduate, Heather Paxton tells us about her experience on the course and how it gave her the knowledge, skills and experience she needed to step into the world of work.
Course: BSc (Hons) Creative Media Technology

Tell us a bit about yourself and what you've been doing since you graduated?

After finishing university, I pursued my career in Leeds with its expanding digital space and job market while also enjoying everything else the city had to offer. I now work as a User Experience (UX) designer using user-centred design principles in mainly focusing on design in mainly public sector work.

In my free time, I still create artwork and graphics and learn new crafts, which expand how I express myself and support those independents working around me. This side of work is really valuable to me as a creative person my job sometimes leans more on the problem-solving side rather than the aesthetics, which are always fun to come back to when I can.

What have been the highlights and challenges of your career so far? 

One of the highlights of my career so far was my newfound love for digital services. Following my part-time job in my final year (at Ayup Digital), I got to work at an agency in Hebden Bridge, where I learned a lot about the fundamentals of working with developers as part of a small team. Here I got to work on many different types of design, including illustration and web design.

This is where digital services came into the picture, using user research to understand user needs. I learned a lot from working within the Government Digital Service guidelines and using its Design System, which really kickstarted my love of UX design.

There have been challenges. For example, I was made redundant in lockdown. But this led me to a new chapter and finding work at my at my current company, Hippo Digital (yes, I seem to be attracted to companies with funny names).

How has your experience studying at Leeds Beckett influenced you and your career? 

I learned the fundamentals of my industry, gained connections, and got to try lots of different things, including scuba diving.

The variety of modules I studied and the people I met made Creative Media Technology a fantastic stepping stone to where I am now.  It really broadened the way I see the world and my creative work.

My tutors and mentors made me feel comfortable heading out into the design world, they gave me a lot of knowledge and skills, which helped develop my confidence a lot.

What attracted you to study your course? 

I was extremely indecisive when going to university, I loved graphic design and media studies which made choosing what course to choose quite tricky. The variety on Creative Media Technology meant I could keep learning about all the things I loved while finding ways to use them all together – it was the perfect course!

On the open day for the course, I will never forget the course team director describing the final year project as 'your masterpiece', which excited me greatly. 

Other reasons that brought me to Leeds Beckett were the extensive volunteering opportunities available. I got the chance to volunteer on the Film and Media Team at Leeds Festival and Latitude Festival, which was fun and exciting.

Another reason I chose Leeds Beckett was the city, the vast amount of gigs, art, film and festivals, like Light Night, to go to. 

Did you enjoy about your course and what advice would you give someone thinking about studying this course?

I loved this course. The tutors are great, the assignments are interesting and I was able to do a placement year which also benefited in getting me ready for and connected with industry.

University for me, was a place to carry on doing something I'm passionate about. I hope this is the case for others too, so my advice would be to use your time at university to discover yourself. Set yourself up for new paths and new opportunities. Be open and create something exciting or unique.