How the Data Science course has enhanced my technical skills

Cosmas tells us about his experience on the BSc Data Science course and why he chose Leeds Beckett.

Cosmas smiles at the camera wearing a red striped shirt

Tell us a bit about yourself and what drew you to the BSc (Hons) Data Science

I am a mature student with several years’ experience working in the field of project management. Having worked with different professionals at varying levels, I gained invaluable insights into project delivery and quickly realised the importance of domain expertise. I began to conduct an inward evaluation of my professional role and realised that I was working in a mainly administrative role, without any real authority. My routine tasks involved visualising reports that were already statistically analysed. However, I was keen to move into a role that allowed me to understand the thoughts and efforts behind those reports and the inference drawn from them. My initial plan was to study BSc Computer science and then MSc Data Science. However, when I discovered that Leeds Beckett offered an undergraduate course in Data Science this became my key focus.

Why did you choose to study at Leeds Beckett?

It was a no-brainer to choose Leeds Beckett University. Firstly, it’s one of a small handful to offer Data Science at undergraduate level. Secondly, I have worked in partnership with the School of Health in my previous role and I saw how quickly they adapted (acquisition of modern facilities) to ensure that students benefitted from the current technological trends in the employment market. Lastly, Leeds is a vibrant city and serves as a base for many top organisations.

Which aspects of the Data Science course are you enjoying the most?

In general, my experience so far has been second to none. I have really enjoyed all my modules, but my highlights so far are the machine learning techniques, data analytics and database systems modules. The machine learning techniques improved my coding skills with R from zero to intermediate level. For example, it was quite fascinating to learn how to use different algorithms to train and optimise models for the binary classification of a transaction being fraud or non-fraud. The data analytics module exposed me to the application of data mining in product recommendation. This was important to me because it uncovers hidden patterns that are not visible even in a small dataset. In database systems, the PL/SQL and triggers became a hobby to me. This enabled me to create applications that are end-user friendly.

What has been your favourite thing about your time studying at Leeds Beckett?

The thing I love so much about studying at Leeds Beckett is the wide variety of support available to students. The lecturers are very welcoming and always willing to support us. They provide us with a lot of resources to enhance our learning. In addition, the Headingley campus has a large sporting complex with lots of activities that students can engage in for recreation.

What advice would you give someone thinking about studying this course?

The success of every organisation in this digital age is being driven by data. The skills and knowledge you acquire on this course are in demand in almost every sector. There is abundance of data, and organisations need our skills to harness their data – that’s where we fit in. Data Science is the career of the future.