Students and their guests, academic colleagues and employers attended a showcase event at Headingley Campus on 24 May, to view and learn more about student projects in the School of Built Environment, Engineering and Computing.

The Computing and Electronic Engineering Showcase featured a range of innovative projects including those from final year students studying Computer Science, Data Science, Computer Forensics and Security, and Electronic Engineering.

The event opened with a welcome from the Dean, Professor Akintola Akintoye, followed by an afternoon of networking and opportunities for visitors to view and discuss the projects directly with the students.

Head of Engineering, Professor Parneet Paul said “It was extremely heartening to see my Engineering students showcasing their fascinating project work in Robotics, Image Processing and Embedded Systems.

Connections were also made with employers providing further opportunities for collaborative work both in the teaching domain and research. These events are critical to us as a community hub organisation, as they build further bridges with the local community and industry, allowing students to present their project work in a high visibility setting, gain presentation skills and finally, can lead to placement and other employability opportunities for them. Well done to everyone involved!”

For students, the event provided the opportunity to share and discuss their project work with potential employers and guests. Here is what some of the students showcasing their work had to say about their experience.

Ngo Le Huy Hien

MSc Information and Technology

“The event was an incredible opportunity to introduce innovative coursework to colleagues and industry. I'm very honoured to showcase my MSc thesis project of applying and optimising different Deep Learning models for Autonomous Vehicles. All the skills and knowledge I learned from the course led me to the project's success and promisingly to my upcoming career.”

Christopher Richardson

MEng Computer Forensics and Cyber Security

“I thought the event was an amazing experience that gave students the opportunity to interact and network with potential and future employers. My project was creating a realistic working digital forensics investigation scenario for students to practice their data acquisition and analysis skills. For myself personally, having my work showcased was an honour and it shows just how much the university values students and the hard work they put into their work, by providing opportunities that will help them for their future careers.”

Close up of circuit board

Pete Moss

BSc Digital and Technology Solutions (degree apprenticeship)

“It was great to present my work to a range of different industry professionals, and to meet fellow students and learn about their own achievements. I enjoyed speaking to employers, learning about their organisation and how my skills could be very useful to them. My final year project produced a prototype data repository software solution for historic data retained by Leeds City Council's housing department, which was then evaluated by end users, gaining valuable insight into use cases and product features.”

Andrea La Fauci De Leo

MEng Computer Science

"It was an absolute pleasure to represent my course at the showcase. It gave my group and I the opportunity to show our hard work to companies and connect with our peers and the industry. We started working on an e-catalogue regarding Videogames and Computer Components for our Team Project module, and we were selected for the showcase. Our project, Sahara, cemented a nice friendship and it allowed us to improve our skills. It was an amazing experience and a good way to end the academic year.”

Devarajan Ragavan

BSc (Hons) Computer Forensics and Security

“I felt proud and honoured to be representing my product at the event, which I had worked on for nearly 300 hours. It felt amazing to be recognised and appreciated for all my efforts. For my project, I built learning content (almost three hours of videos) that explains how to use multiple open-source digital forensic tools on an interactive website. The objective is to help new students learn how to extract an image from a live hard drive, establish a case, analyse, locate evidence and write a report.”

Jordan Drummond Edwards

MEng Computer Science

“It was a fantastic opportunity to showcase the work we had done and see what other work was being done at the university. The project I presented on behalf of my group was a real-time speech to text and facial detection software that used a virtual assistant, built for a Rasberry Pi."

Group talking

Furqan Khan and Daniel Kramer

BSc (Hons) Computer Science

“Showcasing our award-winning project acted as a catalyst for our professional lives through networking with industry professionals. The Cryptoverse is a blog based around the irrational exuberance of web3, and we aim to provide information and innovation trends within the Web3 and Metaverse space.”

Olivia Rennison

MSc Data Science

“I liked how the event was organised; it was nice to network with both students and companies. I had worked so hard over the previous year, so it was great to get chosen and present my project. My project involved researching the components for a manufacturing company, which needed to develop a data strategy to support industry 4.0.”

explore our courses

Explore the range of courses at the School of Built Environment, Engineering and Computing at Leeds Beckett University. 

School of Built Environment, Engineering and Computing

The School of Built Environment & Engineering represents an inclusive and enthusiastic community of staff, students and professional partners who recognise that what they do, design and develop will have a lasting impact on the fabric of society.