We have many examples of students who decided to take the foundation year. We caught up with a few of them to find out why they chose to study a foundation year.

Orobosa Aibangbee had lots of experience in hospitality management. She wanted to be a good role model to her four young children and prove to herself that she could do a degree programme. She tells us here how our Hospitality Management Foundation Year has set her on the right path to achieving her full degree.

“I had lots of experience working within the hospitality industry, but it had been almost 20 years since I left education. It was a huge decision for me to step back into education, particularly given my cultural background. However, I needn’t have worried. The tutors have been amazing and so encouraging. I developed my confidence academically, particularly in presenting in groups, and I feel a strong bond with my fellow students”. 

Maeve Campbell had some experience of working in the events industry in York but decided she wanted to upgrade her event management skills so she could continue to grow her events business. She enrolled on our Events Management Foundation Year and is now looking forward to continuing to build her skills and knowledge on the full degree course.

“It's been a good journey over the year, and I now have a wider knowledge to help me into first year on the full degree course.”  

young people sat around a table looking at a presentation

A field trip visit to a masterclass in spirit tasting at Liquor Studio, Yorkshire’s first and only Spirit School.

Chloe Reynolds, having completed her Diploma in Travel and Tourism, was inspired to continue her learning journey in tourism and joined the International Tourism Management Foundation Year so that she could progress into the industry with the qualifications to succeed at management level. 

Zahraan Asif-Suleman, who is training to be a professional boxer, saw that building his management skills in Events, Tourism and Hospitality Management would give him adaptable skills that he could apply to his passion in sports events. As well as being offered a job at Clayton Hotel, following a recent field trip visit, he reflected. 

“I saw this course as giving me the right attitude for getting a job, as well as learning new skills. I have also been invited to be coach for the Leeds Beckett boxing team.” 

Course Director, Dr Julia Calver added, “Students who have undertaken the Events, Tourism and Hospitality Management Foundation Year programmes have been inspired to develop their individual journey and career goals. We have provided them with the skills and knowledge, but they have made excellent use of the available opportunities to ensure they have a future advantage. We are delighted to welcome them into the Events, Tourism and Hospitality family network, where their stories continue.”

For further information about courses within the School of Events, Tourism and Hospitality Management visit our website

Dr Julia Calver

Course Director / School Of Events, Tourism And Hospitality Management

Dr Julia Calver is Course Director in the School of Events, Tourism and Hospitality Management. Prior to joining the academic team, Julia worked across the UK in a range of roles within the arts and creative industries.