I had always loved words. At school I did well in English Literature and Language, and I loved writing poetry, but I struggled with other subjects, and along with battling some problems in my personal life, I didn’t do so well on my A-Levels. I fell out of love with academia after sixth form, feeling defeated, and wasn’t sure which direction to take. I eventually lost my way in life.

I was 31 years old when I made the decision to apply to university. I’d been in love with music since childhood, clever lyricism in particular and this had developed into a deep passion. I realised I wanted to reconnect with words, and I began to write poetry again. I wasn’t sure I could use this in my choice of degree, but I knew I wanted to. I kept a close eye on my options at different universities, researching courses.

A colleague of mine had attended Leeds Beckett and highly recommended it as a diverse university with excellent pastoral care. In my adult life I had been diagnosed with ADHD, a chronic health condition, and suffered with mental health issues, so I knew I would need some extra support in obtaining my degree. Beckett was a university on my radar and when I discovered a single honors Creative Writing degree on their website, that was my lightbulb moment.

I had to apply through clearing due to my UCAS points, and although very pessimistic about the outcome, I was accepted! I was elated and began to prepare to move from full-time work and into full-time study, which would be a big change that I wanted to feel prepared for. I used the university website to immediately get in touch with the well-being and disability team who have both been invaluable to me and have offered their support from the beginning.

I was initially worried about my mature student status, but my lecturers and fellow students have accepted me without question. I found I had something unique to offer to the class due to my own experiences in life and I felt valued by those around me. I’ve been able to find societies of interest that I can be a part of which has enhanced my university experience. I’m still getting used to it all and finding my groove, but I know I’ve made the right decision. My writing is thriving in the university environment and I’ve gained a sense of fulfilment from my classes. I feel like I’m finally on the right path.