There came, one day, that all too familiar panic pooling in the pit of my stomach. It spun tales of self-deprecation and fear of the future. It whispered that a post-Covid world would have no space for me. I began doom scrolling for days in search of something to occupy my time that would be of worth to an employer, meticulously fine-tuning my cv to something wildly unlike me.

I just HAD to stand out against my imaginary competitors for the postgraduate job I had in my head… the girl that could juggle five jobs, was versed in code and could easily afford to take on ten unpaid internships with her own bare hands. She oozed employability, her middle name was ‘asset’ and her page was almost certainly stalked on LinkedIn.

That was, well, futile. I am not her, and that’s ok. I began to respond to the emails sent through from the careers team at Leeds Beckett. I also emailed tutors back when they presented opportunities. I put in work, a little bit of effort and it paid off. I dedicated time to extra-curricular experiences that could get me a foot in the door post graduation (because that day comes hurtling towards you like a freight train!) 

After the chaotic nature of the pandemic tipping normality off balance, I rooted myself to my studies and university life by getting involved with tutors and extra-curricular events. I managed to land a creative research job as a research assistant with Dr Rachel Connor. A real paid opportunity to work with her and Dr Jayne Raisborough and Professor Susan Watkins on an exciting study in ageing in the cultural industries.

I got the chance to build the project digitally and create a social media presence for the study to generate some noise about it. I reached out to some inspiring women and invited them to Zoom workshops, which Rachel and Susan led, filled with structured writing prompts, giggles, and even tears. I got to be part of women telling their human experiences, holding space for emotion and trauma, for their triumphs and losses. I got to work be-hind the scenes for something genuinely exciting, all to be collated and bottled into an anthology brimming with emotion in the near future. 

Among my other duties, being involved in a paid opportunity such as this opened my eyes to the possibilities the University offers. A word that emanated throughout this experience was connection, something that I strive for in the remainder of my studies. It was truly the highlight of my time at Leeds Beckett, and thankfully, the project is still going. 

If I could convey any advice to new students at Leeds Beckett, it would be to utilise your time at university. I mean really wring out every drop of juicy work experience you can! (That sounds gross, but the metaphor speaks truth). Put yourself out there for volunteering roles within the student spheres, email tutors and ask around, join a club, write that blog, or sign yourself up for that internship. Do those extra bits because it will all come together to benefit you.