Sport and Active Lifestyles

Ellen Williams: “The Women’s Leadership Programme has helped me believe in myself and my own potential”

The BUCS and FA Women’s Leadership Programme is an award-winning initiative, aiming to help female students unlock their full potential and become more competitive within the women’s and girls’ football industry.

MSc Strength and Conditioning student Ellen Williams applied to the BUCS Women’s Leadership Programme after receiving an inspiring call-out: ‘open doors to your dream role in football’. On the programme, Ellen has done just that, gaining access to transferable skills, invaluable connections, and most importantly, harnessing her self-belief.

"The programme has helped me believe in myself and my own potential"

Leeds Beckett and Sport and Active Lifestyles supported Ellen throughout her time on the programme in numerous ways. This ranged from Sport and Active Lifestyles loaning Ellen an office to work in, to the university hiring a car for her to drive to an on-site residential.

“These are only some of the gestures that both Leeds Beckett and Sport and Active Lifestyles did for me,” Ellen explains. “They really helped me gain the most out of the programme and for that I will always be grateful.”

The programme has enabled Ellen to realise the wide range of careers within the women's and girls football industry, and she is now committed to exploring different opportunities with an open mind. Crucially, the experience has allowed Ellen to learn not take certain things too seriously, as well as recognise her own potential.

“As a highly ambitious person, I sometimes find it difficult to enjoy the process of pursuing my own goals,” Ellen says. “Now I can have a laugh while working hard, which has helped me enjoy achieving goals rather than feeling like they’re something I have to do.”

Being open minded and implementing the ability to constantly want to learn new ideas has helped me progress as a player, strength and conditioning coach and on female football development projects,” she explains. “The programme has also helped me believe in myself and my own potential. This is an extremely powerful skill and one that is vital for any leader.”

“The tournament really was an inspiring event for us all”

Earlier this year, the support and encouragement surrounding the FIFA Women’s World Cup reached unprecedented levels. The interest was somewhat overwhelming for Ellen and her programme peers, many of the generation who pursued the female game in its infancy, therefore contributing a longstanding part in the journey of the sport.

Although in recent years the media have covered female players within major tournaments, Ellen notes the ongoing efforts behind the scenes which don’t see as much of the limelight. Meanwhile, the Women’s Leadership Programme champions a cohort of different team players who make the game possible, such as aspiring female football development officers, journalists, doctors, coaches, physiotherapists and more.

“I feel as though we have had just as much thrill from the growth of the game and the success of the tournament as the players themselves!” Ellen says. “The tournament really was an inspiring event for us all.” On a more personal level, the Women’s World Cup has had a profound impact on Ellen and her attitude to driving change. “The female athletes across all 32 teams showed me that it’s possible to break down barriers and pursue something you are passionate about.”

Excited for the future

Overall, the programme has equipped Ellen with the skill set to embrace her own journey into the world of women and girls football with an open mind and a renewed drive to become the best leader she can. As promised, it has opened doors for Ellen in many ways, including getting involved in the FA Your Game initiative as a mentor to young people in football.

“The programme has provided me with a strong network of like-minded female leaders looking to pursue their careers within the women’s and girls’ football industry,” Ellen adds. “It has been really rewarding and motivating seeing the rest of the cohort smashing it in their careers over the last year, and I’m excited to see where we all end up in the future!”

Athletic Union

The Athletic Union is managed by the university's sports office team and is governed by the Athletic Union Executive Committee and our sports clubs' committee members. Regardless of your sports interest, the Athletic Union is here to help you have the best student sport experience during your time at Leeds Beckett.