Making the decision to study a creative course at university can be daunting. Quite often you may be faced with some skepticism from the people around you - parents that just want the best for your economic future, or your academic tutors encouraging you to reach for the stars in Physics. It’s no wonder that when it comes to choosing your degree, you can feel torn between several different routes. However, when your future rests in your hands alone, nothing can be more empowering than taking the leap to study the subject that you genuinely love. I’m so glad that I did.

Hayley Farrington Fine Art student - art studio

Three years ago, when I applied to Leeds Beckett University for the BA (Hons) Fine Art course, I could never have predicted the rate of progression that my artistic practice would make. The course gives you a lot of freedom, meaning that your three years are entirely open to your interpretation of practice. The course does not pigeon-hole you into using specialised mediums, but actively encourages open-minded inclusivity of all media. This results in a fascinating spectrum of artistic practices that differ greatly from one artist to the next, which I personally find so inspiring. 

Hayley Farrington student image - fine art student

The process of this blooming individuality is most obvious within the shared art studio spaces, where we amass our work like a giant residential collective. The fact that your studio time isn’t timetabled encourages an open and ever-evolving social dynamic in the room, as students are there because they want to be there.

Hayley Farrington - Fine Art student creating something

My favourite aspect of the course is definitely the self-structured curriculum. It allows you the freedom of expression, and enables you to alter your practice in any way you desire. Alongside the assistance of our tutors, we can turn any concept into a visual reality – no matter how bizarre.

Hayley Farrington - Fine Art student creating something in the studio

Hayley

Hi, I'm Hayley and I am a final year Fine Art student from Staffordshire. As an artist, I work in areas of multi-media, performance and installation. I'm lucky that the work I do for my degree feeds into my down-time as I'm usually painting or making something obscure. If I'm not doing either of those, I'm usually found hanging out with friends or traversing galleries.