Student Blog Squad

My Clearing Experience

Hi, I'm Jade. I came to study here at Leeds Beckett through Clearing, and it ended up being the best thing that could have happened to me. I'm going to tell you all about my experience in this blog.

The entrance of the Library in James Graham building, Headingley Campus

As I’m coming to the end of my four-year experience at Leeds Beckett, I feel it’s a good time to reflect on my earliest memories of the very first steps of university.

In my final year of sixth form, the BIG day had arrived where we found out our results and whether we were accepted into our chosen universities. I had spent the past few months travelling up and down the country with my dad visiting various universities, and repeatedly changing my mind about what course I wanted study, and what career path I wanted to take. My preferred course had varied from Forensic Investigations, to Criminology, to Journalism, to Media and so on. As you can see, I’d considered quite a few contrasting options!

My alarm rang for 7am on results day, and I woke up unaware of my results. I eagerly logged into UCAS, ready to see the 'Congratulations!' message, and share the celebratory news with my friends and family. Unfortunately, I was greeted with quite the opposite. As you can imagine, there were many tears shed that morning - I was devastated. I found this even more difficult as my step-brother had gotten into his first choice university, as had many of my friends - so there was a bittersweet feeling lingering in our household.

After talking to my family and my tutor that morning, I realised that not getting your predicted grades is not the end of the world. I was told that there was still the option of clearing, something which I hadn't given much thought to before. I was so happy when I realised I could still go to university!

This situation actually gave me the chance to think properly about my choice of course. Was Media Studies really what I was passionate about? I wasn't sure. I did know that one thing I was passionate about was events, and in particular weddings - and so I decided this was my chance to change course and learn about something I love. So, as well as changing my choice of universities, I changed my choice of course to Events Management. I spent what felt like hours ringing around different universities that ran an Events Management course, seeing what my options were. I kept being put on hold, and waiting in queues, and I was feeling fed up by the time I finally spoke to the kindest lady on the phone from Leeds Beckett. She instantly made me feel relaxed and calm. I had a feeling then that this university was the one. I told her my grades, and ALAS she said the news I’d been hoping for – I had an acceptance into Leeds Beckett university! To say I was overjoyed is an understatement; I was over the moon. I was also lucky enough to bag the last en-suite bedroom in any of Leeds Becketts’ halls of residence.

Although the clearing process was an emotional (and pretty stressful) time, being accepted to study at Leeds Beckett ended up being the best opportunity I have ever been given. I met the best people, including my best friends, current housemates, and boyfriend, all within days of arriving here. I’m forever grateful I ended up in the position I did, to have the chance to spend my university experience here. The Leeds Beckett community and overall experience is unique compared to other universities, and I think this is due to the care given by all staff (in every department), the quality of lecturers and the student social life too.

So, if you’re reading this and you’re in a similar position to me, faced with no offers, or if you're worried about results day - please don’t panic! Even if things don’t work out exactly as you planned, that’s okay. Remaining positive and open-minded is key. Make sure that if you are going through Clearing, you consider options that you may not have before, as I did this and it worked out so well for me.

I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason - including exam results. Often we’re thrown obstacles in life, but take these in your stride- it’ll be okay in the end!

Jade Cameron group image Events Management students

Jade

Jade, a final year student studying Events Management at Leeds Beckett. I’m from a little old town in the lovely countryside of Suffolk. I enjoy the outdoors, meeting new people and perhaps a gin or two! I'm a confident go-getter, girl on a mission.