One of my favourite things about being based at the city campus here at Leeds Beckett is having the variety of learning styles and opportunities in different buildings and being able to relocate to different environments in between and for my lectures. 

Sheila Silver library for the best study spaces

The LBU city campus library is located in the heart of the city, which I absolutely love as it gives you a chance to get out and about when you’re not on timetable. I remember my first time going here in my first year to complete group work after lessons with people on my course and I absolutely loved being able to grab a coffee whilst studying with others.

The library is a great change of scenery for when you really want to focus and get things done. The different floors each offer something different too; some are quieter, and some offer larger tables where you can work with others on group assignments with no one shushing you. There is so much more to our library than just books, with a wide range of IT facilities and online resources. The library has saved me a lot of money during my studies as it saved me buying brand new books or paying for online subscriptions, which is super convenient on a student budget. Most students would agree that the library becomes a regular hotspot especially around deadlines and exams.

The ground floor of the library also offers computer desk spaces where you can work if you don’t have access to a computer at home, or you can borrow IT equipment and print things out by topping up your credits online which is always handy. Outside the main library entrance, there are also relaxed study booths and of course vending machines – we all need snacks to keep us going right?

A study space with a view.

Rose Bowl cafe for the best refreshments

In between lectures and during some lunch breaks working as a student ambassador, I always find myself grabbing a hot meal from Beckett’s Kitchen which is located on the bottom floor of the stunning Rose Bowl building- again right in the centre of Leeds. I love the relaxed yet communal environment in the restaurant and it’s perfect for getting a quick lunch and a coffee with your friends. Even if you find yourself alone and feeling intimidated, there will always be someone who will welcome you to their table. It’s important to remember that we all feel the same at times and in Leeds everyone is always up for making friends, especially at Beckett.

The food in Rose Bowl ranges from hot meals like Chinese style chicken noodles (with veggie options of course) and cold takeaway sandwiches and snacks. It is also the perfect set up for quick meetings and a coffee - I remember one of my tutors recommended that we meet there for one of our scheduled catch ups and I loved the idea!

Look out for this building and find my favourite cafe inside!

The Hive Students' Union for the best social space

The Hive in the city centre is a modern social area dedicated to unite all Beckett students and creates a friendly welcoming environment for all. The Hive is perfect for grabbing a coffee or some food from the varied menu. You can also book a work space here and it's a great spot to meet friends for a drink or two on a student night and attend one of the many events and shows that are organised there.

I have also recently found out that you can hire a space for events in the Hive which is pretty cool and useful to know if you have a society event you want a location for. I know a lot already goes down there, they had The Blossoms performing a gig back at the start of 2020 which I heard was a lot of fun!

The Hive is also great for society socials and sport nights. Leeds Beckett currently have many society’s ranging from the Events Society (which I am a part of) to BAME Creatives Society, as well as Outdoor Society and Equals Society. For these along with social sport teams like Netball which I am also a part of, the Hive creates the perfect venue for hosting meet-ups and doing something fun.

Aside from these, the LBU city campus has many more study and social spaces dotted all around. It also has shops selling LBU merch, with the jumpers being the comfiest! Having such a variety of spaces to go to really gives you a feel for university life and freedom and adds that excitement to your overall student experience.

Laura G

Hi, I'm Laura, a PR student here at LBU. Outside of university my interests include fitness, socialising with friends and traveling (anything that benefits my wellbeing really). I’m passionate about spreading positivity and enjoy motivating people so that they can become the best version of themselves!