Student Blog Squad

How my course prepares me for life after university

Hi, I’m Eleanor, a Fashion Marketing student at Leeds Beckett. In this blog I’ll be talking about how my course is preparing me for life after university and getting a job in my industry, through the different opportunities and training available to me.

office with plants

The thought of finishing university and getting a job is a daunting one- it’s a mixture of excitement and the fear of the unknown. Preparing for life after university is just as important as your time at university, as what you learn in those three to four years is essential for having successful prospects after. My course, Fashion Marketing, has successfully equipped me with the right skills and knowledge for me to enter the job world and have a life after university.

Networking

Networking is so important for many different reasons. Even if it is just for some advice from experts or trying to gain a good relationship with an individual for an employment prospect, it really allows you to have a wider understanding of your industry and interest. 

If you are reading this at the start of your uni journey, I would recommend setting up a LinkedIn profile asap, you won't regret it!

My course leaders encouraged us to set up a profile at the start of first year and it has honestly proved to be so beneficial. By making a conscious effort to network, it has allowed me to connect with other students like myself, talk to professionals, be inspired by others work and be aware of the job prospects within my industry. Leeds Beckett is amazing for providing so many network opportunities, every week I receive an email from the university offering me some type of talk or lecture to engage with. Honestly, you do not feel like you are networking, but you are putting your name out to those who have experience while at the same time you are being inspired and learning very valuable ideas.

Through university connections I was offered the chance to have a meeting with the Loreal placement team.

While unfortunately being unsuccessful, it was such a positive experience that taught me so many skills and facts that will prove to be very valuable in my career. It also allowed me to connect with many other students and the Loreal team themselves. 

Opportunities

Similarly, with the networking, the university is amazing at providing different opportunities that can prepare you for employment and widen your skillset. Opportunities can really cement your feelings towards something, and likewise gives you the chance to try something out and realise that’s the path you want to go down or maybe it's not your type of thing. I understand we are inundated with emails, but I highly recommend reading the Beckett Careers email as they are always sharing different roles and opportunities that will help you build your cv. Also, if you are interested or have an idea on a certain opportunity but not quite sure how to go about it, email your academic advisors and they will be happy to help you out.

The opportunities that Leeds Beckett and my course leaders offered me have allowed me to have a clear vision in the field of work I want to explore once I graduate. I am fortunate enough to write for Cohorted Cult and the Blog Squad and this has not only allowed me to go into writing in the future and develop my skills in a professional setting, but it has also allowed me to grow in confidence.

Placements

Placements can prepare you for life after university in many different ways, even if you are unsuccessful at gaining one, the application process itself is a learning curve. The relentless preparation and application process of placements allows you to already have the experience and knowledge when applying for graduate schemes etc. The process of seeking a placement also makes you reflect on your strengths and weaknesses allowing you to strengthen certain skills. In addition to this, the placement team at LBU are amazing at sharing placements and job opportunities allowing you to have a wider understanding and knowledge of different employers out there. 

Likewise, even if you do not have the opportunity to carry out a placement, look out for summer internship and employment options that link to your future career as there are many benefits to gaining transferable skills. Don’t be afraid of putting yourself out there; apply for things that you think will suit you and it will pay off one day!

For me a placement was always on the cards and was one of the reasons I chose to study my course at Leeds Beckett.

Skills

Every course is different in what skills are required and what will be beneficial for future employment. My course has equipped me with advanced skills that my future employers seek. Ranging from the Adobe Creative Suite to Wordpress, I have been given the chance to explore these in a practical setting giving me a better chance to have a strong future in employment. In addition, even if your course does not give you the opportunity to explore and advance certain skills the library certainly does with Skills for Learning events, so do not be afraid to seek out and push yourself.

Whatever career you want to venture into once you graduate, it is important to start thinking about how you can build on your existing skills and use the opportunities that the university and course provides you, while also using your own initiative to make yourself the best you can be.