Student Blog Squad

How my Filmmaking course is making me a skilled creative prepared for the world of work

Hi my name is Kimia and I am a BA (Hons) Filmmaking student. I’ve just started my third and final year. I’m loving studying here at Leeds Beckett and in this blog I’ll be sharing with you just how my course has shaped me into a technically-skilled creative who is not only prepared for the world of work but excited to graduate and pursue a career in this industry.

Leeds School of Arts building

Immersive modules & excellent facilities

From the very first year I have been studying a wide variety of modules which are helping shape me into a dynamic filmmaker and sharpening my creative eye and technical skills. In addition to modules covering producing, cinematography, scripting, design, editing, and post-production, I have been able to experiment with a variety of filmmaking disciplines. This has meant, over my two years studying at LBU, I have been able to get an idea of which specific area of the filmmaking industry I may want to pursue when I leave university. In addition, the facilities on my course are excellent and not only do they give me great hands-on experience but I’m also using the same facilities I am likely to find in a workplace, including a green screen studio, immersive sound mixing studios, and industry standard film production equipment. Overall, my modules feel really immersive as not only am I studying theory but I’m also getting that essential experience of using the filmmaking facilities and equipment which helps make me technically skilled. 

Leeds School of Arts film studio, green screen room

This is the green screen in the Northern Film School, it's so great to have facilities like this.

Taught by experts

Since the lecturers who teach us are working filmmakers, we gain access to their extensive professional production knowledge. Being taught by experts in the filmmaking industry gives me confidence that I’m being taught by some of the best people and I love being surrounded by others who have such extensive knowledge and experience of filmmaking, it’s really exciting. It is also great to be able to chat with my lecturers and get their unique perspectives. The lecturers support us through collaborative filmmaking methods and work hard to help us become independent creatives who possess the technical skills and work ethic to successfully work both independently and within a professional team. They are able to do this really well by drawing upon their own knowledge and experience. 

Building connections

One thing our lecturers instil in us is the importance of building industry connections, as well as connections with our peers in the Northern Film School. I was really eager to connect with other people who share my passion for filmmaking, so I got in contact with different filmmakers and artists in the local area and organised for us to meet up, and we got together to do some collaborative work. I found creating content with them helped me gain experience in different fields that I didn't know about, including modelling. We actually ended up collaborating and creating so much content that it helped grow my confidence so much that I decided to open my own business, filming music videos and short films for clients. I later branched out into photography and have since worked at weddings and birthday parties. All of which is super exciting, but most of all this work has helped me develop my passion for filmmaking and content creation outside of the course. In addition, I am actively using the technical skills I've learnt on my course in the work I do for various clients as well as this the creativity instilled in me through my lecturers has had a huge impact on my professional work.

I have just begun my third year and I’m so excited to continue my studies and graduate with a degree in Filmmaking. My time studying has equipped me with the technical skills, knowledge and an even greater passion to pursue a career in this industry. While graduating and leaving university does fill me with a small amount of nerves, I feel happy that my course, its modules, and my supportive lecturers have helped me to grow into an adept creative who can't wait to pursue a professional career in filmmaking.

What I will take away from this course is to always pursue your passions and push yourself to not only embrace new opportunities but to actively create your own opportunities.

Did you enjoy reading this blog?

If you found this blog interesting and are considering applying for Filmmaking at Leeds Beckett, we'd love for you to visit us on an Open Day. You'll be able to attend a subject talk and see the Filmmaking facilities in person. 

BOOK YOUR PLACE NOW