Each student’s experience of their first days in the UK are going to be different; some of us will be confident enough to jump right into the social scene, attend international students’ week at the university, and make friends right away. Others will take it slower, and it may take longer for you to assimilate into British culture. Whichever of the categories you belong to, I’m sure you will feel right at home in Leeds as it’s a very friendly city that is welcoming to both students and internationals. In this blog I will be drawing upon what I’ve learnt through my own experiences and sharing my advice for international students who are starting studying here.

British culture

Studying abroad is a big life change and moving to a country that has different customs from your own may initially lead to you experiencing culture shock. To help myself prepare for this, I found it useful to read up on British culture before I arrived. Not only did it make for a fun and fascinating read, but it also helped me understand common mannerisms, behaviour and phrases. So when I arrived I knew I was being offered a cup of tea when some asked if I  “wanted a cuppa”.  Keep in mind though that stereotypes do not a nation make, so take everything you read with a pinch of salt – for example, if you thought all Brits consumed was tea and crumpets, you would only be half right!

Making friends

I found making friends was easier than I thought, as myself and the other international students on my course and in my accommodation were able to bond together through our shared experience of being in a new country. Outside of your course and accommodation, you will have plenty of opportunities to socialise and make friends, since both the university and SU have lots of societies, sports clubs and activities you can take part in. 

As an international student, I’d suggest taking a look at the fun events the Global Village team organise. The Global Village is made up of students and staff who are here to help you settle into life in Leeds and make new friends. They hold monthly speed friending events, Global Village Cafes, and Global Village Saturdays. At these events you’ll get to meet lots of international students. Not only will attending help you make friends from different cultures, but it will also help you to connect with people who are in the same boat as you. If you’re experiencing a bit of culture shock or feeling homesick then I know from my experience that connecting with other international students at events like these was really beneficial. 

Extracurricular activities

University is a place of learning and a chance to embrace new experiences. If I could go back and give myself advice, I’d tell myself to get involved in more extracurricular activities. While I’ve loved working as a Student Ambassador, writing blogs for the university website, and volunteering in a letter exchange programme with a local senior citizens home, I really wish I’d put my name down for more extracurricular activities, so I could have gained more skills and experience. If I could give you a top tip, I’d say make sure you make the most of your time here and don’t be afraid to get involved with all the things going on around you.

I hope this blog was helpful and you have the time of your life here at Leeds Beckett University!

Are you an international student who is thinking about studying at Leeds Beckett?

At Leeds Beckett, you will be part of a diverse community of students from around the world.

DISCOVER MORE ABOUT STUDYING HERE