Changing my mind

When I was coming to the end of my time at sixth form, I had initially decided to pursue an apprenticeship, to be trained as an electrician. Admittedly for this reason, I hadn’t given too much thought into university life, courses, and how to apply. At some point I decided that just wasn’t for me, for a multitude of reasons, and that university would be a much better environment for me personally, and so I applied to study a course at Leeds Beckett University. As it got closer to results day, I got less and less confident about the course I had chosen and was holding a conditional offer for. In the days immediately preceding results day, I entered a bit of a spiral of regret surrounding my choice, mainly due to doubting my own commitment to studying that subject for the whole three-years. 

Results day swung around, and I talked about my concerns with one of my teachers, and they recommended I check Leeds Beckett’s Clearing page.

The Clearing Process

Admittedly, I had no idea what Clearing even was before Results Day. I don’t think I’d ever even heard of it. After spending a little time sat in an IT room reading through the course information for English Literature, I decided that I’d be happier on that course than what I’d initially chosen. I stepped outside to where my friends were celebrating their results, and called the Clearing line number, which I found on the Leeds Beckett site, 0113 812 3113. After outlining what course I had applied to, which course I was wanting to change to and what my results were, I was put through to the course director of English Literature (who is now one of the lecturers I have been closest to during my time here), who told me I had secured a place. After hearing this, I finally allowed myself to enjoy the belated celebration of my results.

I felt much more comfortable in my decision knowing that I’d made the right choice now and it was easy as dialling a number and simply having a chat. 

Conclusion

The main thing I want everyone to know about Clearing is that there is absolutely no need to worry. Clearing really is as simple as making the one call. Whether you’re trying to be admitted into a university that you didn’t apply to in the first place or wanting to change the course that you’ve all but secured like me. Now that I’m entering my third year, I couldn’t be happier studying English Literature. 

If there are any students who are in my shoes, applying through Clearing then I’d say the main steps to take are to simply remain calm, and to take a step back and consider all the options that you have, and the ones you didn’t know you had. Look at all the information available on the course. Do the modules you’ll be studying for all three years appeal to you? Do the skills you’ll learn apply to your career ambitions? Does the logistical side of finances and accommodation still apply to your new course? If so, the solution is literally a phone call away.