Stepping onto foreign soil for the first time is a mix of excitement and nervousness. As I embarked on my journey to London Heathrow, I was ready to explore the world beyond my comfort zone. Little did I know, this adventure would teach me invaluable lessons about travel, preparation, and adapting to new environments.

Lost in arrival choas

Arriving at London Heathrow, I had anticipated a smooth reception by my company. However, a hasty decision to snooze my alarm clock led to an unforeseen situation. A tip that would forever stay with me: "Always have a backup plan, especially when it's your first time." With my company nowhere in sight, I found myself navigating the unfamiliar airport solo. Romanticizing my very first international flight, I strolled through the airport with wide-eyed wonder. My leisurely pace caught the attention of security guards who asked if I was alright. At the end of this walk, awaits the long immigration line which became an unexpected joy as I exchanged stories and plans with fellow international students. Surprisingly, the long line moved swiftly, lasting only 30 minutes, a testament to the excitement shared by all (P.S. I got lucky that they opened all the counters, in some stories I heard they took more than an hour).

Baggage mishap

Collecting my bags, I was met with an unfortunate surprise – one of my bags was damaged, its handle broken which made it hard to maneuverer because of its weight. An important lesson followed: "Double-check your bags; make sure they’re in good condition and if not, don't risk carrying heavy items if your bag isn't sturdy." This hiccup served as a reminder to be prepared for the unexpected challenges of travel.

3 suitcases on a luggage trolley

A chilly awakening

Eager to explore London, I was hit with the reality that the airport was far from the city's famous landmarks. Stepping outside, I felt the cold bite through my clothes, despite wearing my thickest attire. Another lesson learned: "Pack colder/warmer clothes in your carry-on." Shivering, I retreated to the airport's warmth, realizing that my tropical attire was ill-suited for the cold. As a Filipino in a foreign land, I found myself in a crowd where the only familiar thing was the sound of my native language from meters away. I embraced this moment of solitude and reflection until my company finally arrived. Together, we embarked on a unique journey to the train station, facing unforeseen obstacles due to the Queen's funeral, an event that coincided with my arrival date. Arriving at the train station, I was captivated by the reality of being in a place I had only seen online.

The journey felt like a dream come true, and I couldn't resist searching for Platform 9¾ from the beloved Harry Potter series, feeling like a child once again.

My first international adventure at London Heathrow was a rollercoaster of emotions, from missed plans to unexpected challenges and moments of awe. This experience taught me the importance of preparedness, adaptability, and the thrill of embracing the unknown. As I stepped onto that train, I realized that my journey was just beginning – and I was ready to embrace every twist and turn it had in store. The journey continued as I embarked on my first train ride to Leeds, a new chapter of my international adventure. Little did I know, this voyage would offer not only picturesque landscapes but also valuable life lessons about adaptation, connection, and the beauty of solitude.

The train ride and new surroundings

The trip to Leeds was a revelation in itself. With wide-eyed wonder, I savoured every passing view, capturing the essence of a fleeting moment. Little did I know that this experience, while cherished, would become a recurrent delight in the times ahead. Arriving in Leeds, a warm welcome awaited in the form of an LBU Global Ambassador. A chance introduction revealed that fate had woven our paths to share the same accommodation. As we exchanged greetings, a taxi booked by Leeds Beckett University arrived, and with a hasty farewell, he sped away on his bike.

At my accommodation, tranquillity enveloped me amidst lush greenery, a stark contrast to the bustling city noise. The journey, over 30 minutes away from the urban hubbub, allowed me to embrace the peace of this newfound haven. Swiftly securing my keys, I began to settle into my room. Hunger struck, but stores were closed as respect to the Queen. A crucial tip: "Bring at least a day's worth of food." Preparedness became key in navigating unexpected circumstances.

Diving into new experiences

The next day ushered in the flavours of Five Guys, familiar comfort amidst newness.

Tip: Eat in familiar restaurants. You might get stomach problems when you are not used to it.

It’s hard to get sick in these fundamental days. Attending LBU's welcome week, I seized every opportunity, gathering sim cards, eco bags, ticket freebies, and more. A succulent plant free from the event joined my journey back home, becoming a silent witness to the semester's unfolding chapters.

Navigating the maze of shopping

Home shopping in a foreign land presented its own challenges. Wrestling with Philippine currency conversion, I was struck by the cost of living. Tears welled up as it seemed I couldn't afford much.

A powerful insight emerged: "Being overwhelmed is fine." Tip: Bring as much stuff from home as you can. The comfort of home items, when brought along, can ease both the financial and emotional strain.

Reflecting on the shopping escapade, I realized my errors. I had entered a wrong store meant for luxury brands. A reminder to "do your research" highlights the importance of preparedness. Furthermore, compared to other international students, I arrived very late. I was welcomed with empty shelves dedicated for affordable goods; a situation that could have been avoided by ordering online beforehand. Another benefit of ordering online in advance, is that you will be able to unpack these new items along with your other stuff saving you some time and assuring you that you got all that you need from the very beginning. Unpacking became a ritual of connection. Leaving my door open allowed flatmates to acknowledge my presence, a small step in building relationships.

Essential advice: "Be connected with your flatmates; set house rules early to avoid future issues."

Documenting Arrival and Adapting to Technological Change

Settling in meant tackling important documentation like collecting BRP and University ID. Introduction events provided a glimpse into the new environment. A transition to using numerous apps underscored the necessity of budgeting for unexpected expenses. Technological adaptation became essential. My phone and laptop at the time faced limitations, as they are 8 and 5 years old, respectively. The ease of NFC payments and the rarity of cash highlighted the shift in payment methods. I would have struggled if I had not been able to transition my tech buddies even though they came with a price. For a while, the university library became my saviour as they offer hundreds of computers with some laptops that you could also bring around the campus.

Balancing Homesickness and Exploration

Transitioning into this new life, homesickness crept in. I struggled to bridge the time zone gap, often contacting loved ones at inconvenient hours. Friendships took a hit, a natural part of life's ebb and flow. The silver lining emerged: "Discovering the new place, people, and things," a journey that paralleled self-discovery.

Friendships became a dynamic dance, evolving in the UK just as they do anywhere else. The initial intensity often gave way to individual pursuits, yet these moments of solitude offered their own beauty. Learning to cherish moments of aloneness became a transformative aspect of the journey. From train rides to settling into a new environment, every experience in this new land has been a tapestry of lessons, connections, and personal growth. The journey continues as I embrace the blend of the familiar and the unknown, discovering not only the world around me but also the depths of my own resilience and adaptability.

Khirsten

Greetings, I am Khirsten an MSc Public Health-Health Promotion international student at Leeds Beckett University. I came all the way from the Philippines with my love for science. Leeds, so far, has been wonderful in gaining professional experience and professional growth.