Deciding where to go next

The decision to go to a university or take a particular course can be quite daunting. It is important to research the options that you have and consider the duration, cost, and job prospects of each course. Ultimately, it is important that you choose the one that best suits your goals and needs.

Taking up postgraduate study was not a decision I made lightly. As someone who spent 5 years in her bachelor’s degree in Occupational Therapy, I didn’t think that I would pursue continuing education because let's face it, it’s rather demanding and exhausting. Nevertheless, I eventually decided to take the plunge and pursue MSc in Child and Adolescent Mental Health.

Helping people

Throughout my education and early professional career in Occupational Therapy, I’ve had the privilege to work with people from different walks of life and of different ages. Back then, I was more inclined to work with the adult population because I was content with how I could understand their needs more easily than the young. And yet, during my paediatric (child and adolescent) placements, many of my supervisors have given me compliments on how I actually work well with young people but because I don’t see that myself, I brushed those comments aside.

Just a month after I got my licensure, I, unfortunately, had to undergo surgery which I believe was what pushed me to embark on this journey. At that time, my surgeon told me about how he had young patients before me that also faced the same physical and mental struggles as I have and I can only imagine what it was like going through so much emotional turmoil at a young age. Right then and there, the idea of helping these young people sparked in me. That moment inspired me to be someone who can make a positive impact in their lives.

Finding my goal

Although I’m no superhero, I believe that empathy, understanding and the right support can work wonders for these children. That’s where this master's comes in. It’s like my cape for making a change in their lives. As they grow up, I want to be that person who will guide them through the ups and downs of emotions and challenges that life throws at them.

I am aware that there are other professions such as a counsellor or a teacher that also share the same advocacy as I have. However, since I believe that occupational therapy has already given me the foundational skills and knowledge for me to work in this field, I felt that the next best step for me was to take up a master's. I believe that the particular focus of the course will equip me better and prepare me to take on more complex cases in the future.

In a world where the complexities of a child’s emotional world are often overlooked, it is my goal to be their beacon of hope and their guide towards a brighter and better future.