I was so much more relaxed having submitted my choices already

I found that the Applicant Day really helped me to make my final decision on which offer to accept. Unlike the broader scope of an Open Day, where I had yet to make my selections, this event was tailored exclusively for LBU applicants who had submitted their applications through UCAS like myself. So with my application already in the pipeline I felt like I could relax and enjoy the day, it was also a great opportunity to help me narrow down my offers rather than be considering every university across the UK!

What also helped me relax into the day was the fact that I was already somewhat familiar with Leeds Beckett from the Open Day, so it wasn’t quite as overloaded with information. I was able to walk around Leeds and take in more of the beautiful city, having already toured the accommodations during my previous visit to the university. (For those who missed the opportunity during the Open Day, accommodations are still available for viewing during Applicant Days!)

Additionally, as the day is specifically for applicants, I had more time to talk to lecturers about the course and with other staff on the campus, e.g. finding out more about societies from someone at the Students’ Union stand. I also was able to prepare questions for the day too because I knew what I wanted to find out that might narrow down my choices.

I already felt reassured and supported by the staff even though I wasn’t even a student yet.

I got more time to chat with my lecturers about the course

For me, one of the main reasons that I decided to study at Leeds Beckett was the invaluable reassurance I received from the lecturers during the Applicant Day. My biggest apprehension centered around the fact that I had never studied the course before, but the lecturers reassured me that most of the students they take on had never studied or worked in PR before. I also asked lots of other questions about the course, and how assignments were conducted, and already felt reassured and supported by the staff even though I wasn’t even a student yet. The lecturers even wrote down our emails so they could send us the slides from the course session and gave out their contact details in case we had any other questions or concerns in the future!

I got to hear from current students on my course

Attending my course session was eye-opening as I got to hear firsthand accounts from current students about their experiences with the course, particularly the incredible placement years that they had completed. I heard from one student that had completed a year’s placement at the TV network HBO, and another who worked at Disney. Hearing stories like these made me feel engaged & invested, and being able to ask all the questions I had added to my excitement – the whole interaction made me so much more enthusiastic about beginning my studies at Leeds Beckett University.

Getting actively involved in the workshop not only deepened my understanding of the course content but also made up my mind that this course and university were the perfect fit for me.

I was a Leeds Beckett student for the day

During the course session, I got hands-on with the course material through a university-style workshop, this let me really get an understanding of what studying here would be like. This was different to the Open Day I had attended before because, for this part of the session, I was expected to contribute as if I was a student at the university. I really enjoyed this part of the session, it made me feel part of something already. Getting actively involved in the workshop not only deepened my understanding of the course content but also made up my mind that this course and university were the perfect fit for me.

Whilst attending Open Days and Applicant Days can be daunting at first, trust me, they're totally worth it when it comes to finding the right university fit. Applicant Days, especially, are really helpful for narrowing down those five choices you have submitted on UCAS and can be a great opportunity to find out answers for any questions you might have. My tip? Write down every little query you've got because there's always someone there ready to give you the lowdown.

Even if you have already accepted your offer from Leeds Beckett, don't skip out on the Applicant Days—they're a great opportunity to get a better feel for the place. You can take a campus tour, check out the accommodation options (you can even take 360° room tours online here), or just explore more of the city. Plus, hitting up an Applicant Day is a fab way to meet potential future classmates and start building those friendships before university even begins!