Student Blog Squad

Things that surprised me in the UK

Hiya! My name is Moira. I am an international student from the Philippines pursuing a master’s degree in Biomedical Science. Today, I will be sharing with you some of the things that surprised me when I moved to the UK.

My move to the UK all the way from the Philippines sparked a significant turning point in my life. There were countless moments of profound discovery beginning with the transition from the colourful, tropical scenery of my home country to the rich, diverse culture of the United Kingdom.

White suitcase on its own on a green floor with white floor marking and a pale green wall behind it

Unpredictable weather

In the UK, the phrase "How's the weather?" is deeply ingrained in the culture, as the weather is widely known for being mysterious, often leaving everyone reaching  for umbrellas one moment and sunglasses the next. The UK would often have all four seasons in one day. With frequent rain showers, cloudy skies, and occasional bursts of sunshine, the weather can change significantly. As a result, as people try to assess the current situation or anticipate changes in the forecast, talking about the weather naturally comes up.

One of the most unexpected aspects of my move was probably adjusting to the UK's fluctuating weather patterns. Having come from a tropical country with year-round sunshine, I found it difficult to adjust to British weather. It became customary to always have an umbrella with me, and wearing multiple layers of clothing was essential to ward off the chilly winds in the winter months. Following my initial shock, I discovered that the UK's weather was a fundamental part of my relocation here and added a little touch to the daily adventures.

Cultural Diversity

Diversity is deeply embedded in British society from its historical origins to its modern expressions, enhancing its culture, strengthening its communities, and forming its shared identity. The UK, although having a small geographic size, is home to a diverse population from a range of backgrounds, ethnicities, and socioeconomic backgrounds. I was introduced to a wide variety of cultures, languages, and customs while travelling through different places. Interacting with people from around the world has expanded my perspective and deepened my understanding of the interconnectedness of the world.

Transportation

I was astounded by how accessible and effective the public transport system in the UK is. Having come from a place where unreliable public transportation and traffic congestion are typical, I was amazed by the UK's huge network of buses, trains, and underground transportation. The UK is home to an extensive and swift public transport network that encompasses buses, trains, trams and ferries, providing an wide range of options for people to get around cities, towns and rural areas.

Public transport networks are vast and well-connected in major cities like Edinburgh, Manchester, and London. They provide multiple routes and frequent services to a variety of destinations. I would like to highlight the rail network in the UK, particularly the high-speed train services that provide quick and effective transport between major cities. Passengers can travel across the country with ease thanks to high-speed rail services, which shorten travel times between locations.

Here in Leeds, I also find it very easy to travel to work or university from home via bus, as bus stops have real-time information displays that show the most recent arrival times and service updates.

Additionally, this information is accessible to passengers through online platforms and mobile apps, which help them plan their journeys more efficiently and reduces wait times at bus stops.

Etiquette

One of the things I have learned since coming here is that the phrase "cheers!" is frequently used by British people. In informal contexts, such as after receiving a favour or service, British people often say "cheers" to show appreciation or thanks. To express gratitude, one could say "cheers" to someone who holds the door open for them.

It was unexpected and difficult to get used to the specifics of British manners. Through patiently waiting in queue and witnessing the custom of afternoon tea, I discovered that British culture strongly values manners, decorum, and consideration for one's personal space.

Small talk and the art of queuing became essential components of my daily interactions, encouraging respect and camaraderie among the community. Following these social norms made integration easier and increased my understanding of cultural diversity.

The process of moving from the Philippines to the UK has been a journey filled with surprises, difficulties, and realisations. Every experience I've had has helped me grow as an individual and become more aware of different cultures, from adjusting to the mysterious weather to appreciating social customs and cultural diversity.

Being here, I am constantly reminded of the human spirit's perseverance and transformational power of accepting new surroundings with an open mind and a desire to learn as I make my way through life in the UK.

Moira

Hiya! 

My name is Moira, and I am an international student hailing from the Philippines. I am currently pursuing a master's degree in biomedical science, as I am deeply interested in capturing the intersection of biology and medicine and improving healthcare outcomes for individuals worldwide. Fueled by a passion for travel and a thirst for cultural enrichment, I find endless joy in exploring new horizons with a fervent dedication to both academic pursuits and global exploration.