Students Abroad

Abigail Rochelle - Griffith, Australia

"This definitely was an experience I'd not trade for anything and I'd go back and do it all over again in a heartbeat!"
Published on 18 Apr 2018
study abroad student at the gold coast commonwealth games

Commonwealth Games

While I was on placement year studying Sports Events Management I was lucky enough to be involved with the Commonwealth Games and worked with British Weight Lifting which is the National Governing Body for Weightlifting and Para Powerlifting in Great Britain. They offered me a part time job once I was done with placement and helped me get a role with Queensland Weightlifitng at the Commonwealth games. I helped run marketing activation events while the Weightlifting and Para Powerlifting was taking place, as well as worked media for British Weight Lifting updating our socials on how team GB athletes spread across the four home nations were doing.

study abroad student at weightlifting competition commonwealth games

The opportunity of a lifetime

It was an incredible experience, having an all access pass and being able to watch how things happened behind the scenes at a major sporting event. It was an opportunity of a life time to see athletes from other countries that you've seen at the Olympics on TV compete live. The long days definitely payed off as I've been able to make some great contacts while working in the field and have been able to put into practice all the theory I've learned.

Study abroad student at the commonwealth games
study abroad student with commonwealth mascot

As an added bonus I was able to attend a dress rehearsal of the opening ceremony and watch an Athletics session at the Carrara Stadium. This definitely was an experience I'd not trade for anything and I'd go back and do it all over again in a heartbeat! Looking forward to Birmingham 2022 now.

Leeds Beckett student on study abroad scheme