Clinical skills CPD
Applied Motivational Interviewing Skills
This course is aimed at students working as counsellors or in the health and social care sector, such as mental health workers, nurses, occupational therapists, dietitians and social workers.
Start date: January 2021 Semester 2: 17th May; 14th May; 21st May; 28th May; 18 June (assessment day)
Blended Learning - City Campus/MS Teams
Level 6: £1200 / Level 7: £1000 (NHS funding available)
Level 6/Level 7, 20 credit course.
Module content includes:
- Introduction to motivational interviewing as an approach to working with people.
- Development of critical understanding, key concepts to support advances behaviour change, clinical frameworks and the current evidence base for motivational interviewing.
- Develop and apply motivational interviewing skills in to the student’s areas of practice.
- Critically reflect and evaluate relevance and impact.
*Delivered via a blended approach that includes online teaching and learning, digital learning and on campus sessions. If a further lockdown is necessary then delivery will be continued and supported via online and digital learning. We therefore require you to have access and the ability to MS Teams.
Everything you need to know
These modules are designed for practitioners working with health and social care clients. For admission to the module you will usually be required to provide evidence of the successful completion of 120 credits (or equivalent) at the appropriate level in a relevant area / discipline:
- 120 credits at level 5 (Dip HE) for level 6 (degree) study
- 120 credits at level 6 (BScH/BAH) for level 7 (masters) study
Applicants will need access to a client or patient to apply skills for assessment.
Remote Learning Prerequisites:
To undertake the course you must have access to a PC/laptop/device that has access to the internet and has sufficient memory and software to run MS Teams. It is recommended that this is run via the App rather than in a web browser. You will need to have practiced using this app and be able to use your webcam.
More information about how MS Teams will be used can be found here.
You may find it helpful to contact your employers IT support or you can learn more about MS Teams via the Microsoft support link.
Click the link to download Microsoft Teams for free.
Students will be assessed against level 6 or level 7 academic criteria to include a poster presentation and written assessment.