2 months, delivered in blocks of 4 half day workshops
5 October 2021
Free to eligible businesses and individuals
This course is part of the three-year #WECAN (Women Empowered through Coaching and Networking) project. Partly funded by the European Union Social Fund and working with a network of partners - including Edge Hill University and Social Enterprise Yorkshire and Humber (SEYH) – the project offers bespoke support to SMEs and their women employees and managers. Discover more about #WECAN on our dedicated pages.
ILM Level 2 Leadership & Team Skills provides you with the opportunity to:
- Gain core leadership and management skills
- Feel confident to implement them in your workplace
- Improve your team’s performance
- Get a nationally recognised qualification
This programme is led by #WECAN delivery lead Kim Sanderson. Kim has over 25 years’ experience of teaching in further education and prior to working at Leeds Beckett University, worked in retail and further education sectors leading and managing teams.
Kim will guide you through four 3-hour workshops which will be delivered online via MS Teams. Workshops involve a mix of tutor input, practical activities, and small group work in break out rooms, giving you the opportunity to network with other women working in SMEs.
Each workshop covers the following objectives:
Workshop 1: Introduction to effective teamworking
- Identify characteristics of an effective team and its advantages or working in a team
- Identify possible barriers of team working
- Outline the possible effects of identified barriers on the team
Workshop 2: Building effective teams
- Explain how to create and maintain an effective team
- Examine how to write the assignment for ‘Understanding effective team working’, with tutorial guidance
- Explain the difference between leadership and management
Workshop 3: Leading your team
- Explain why leadership is important
- Describe a range of leadership styles
- Identify the most used leadership style(s) within your organisation
Workshop 4: Impact of leadership styles
- Explain the likely effect of most used leadership style(s) on a team’s performance
- Identify own leadership style and its potential impact on the team
- Examine how to write the assignment for ‘Leading your work team’, with tutorial guidance
There will be activities to complete after each workshop in preparation for the next workshop or an assignment and you will be supported by Kim throughout the programme.
There is an induction to the ILM at the beginning. There are two written assignments to complete of a 1000-word and 1250 words respectively. Tutorial time is built into each session to enable you to work independently on your assignment.
Everything you need to know
You need to be a woman employee working in a role where you are leading others within an eligible SME. Alternatively, you may be aspiring to take on this role.
Approximately 18 hours of individual study time outside of the workshops is expected in order to complete the written assignments and activities.
There are two units of study:
- Understanding effective team working
- Leading your work team
Partly funded by the European Union Social Fund
The project has a budget of £1.7m over three years, partly funded by partners and partly from the European Social Fund as part of the 2014-2020 European Structural and Investment Funds Growth Programme in England. The Department for Work and Pensions (and in London the intermediate body Greater London Authority) is the Managing Authority for the England European Social Fund programme. Established by the European Union, the European Social Fund helps local areas stimulate their economic development by investing in projects which will support skills development, employment and job creation, social inclusion and local community regenerations.