Sports scholarships now available
Sport & Active Lifestyles’ sports scholarships are now available for the 2021/22 academic year.
We have been supporting students to reach their potential through the scheme since 2002. Famous alumni that have benefitted from the scheme include Lucy Bronze, Alistair Brownlee, Alex Yee, Emily Scarratt, Vicky Fleetwood, Laura Weightman and Tom Bosworth
Leeds Beckett awards a number of sports scholarships to high performing athletes each year who are committed to upholding the values of the university and willing to represent Leeds Beckett in BUCS events. Scholarships are also awarded to those who demonstrate the ability to progress and achieve high levels of success in their chosen sports.
There are two distinctive levels of support available for 2021/22 which includes Elite support and Athletic Union support. We have a limited number of Scholarships to award in 2021/22 and therefore, in addition to requiring you to meet the below criteria, we will give priority to students who can demonstrate that they will make a significant contribution in their respective sport. Meeting the criteria does not equate to entitlement to a scholarship.
What scholarships are available?
The Elite Sports Scholarship Award is for student athletes who are competing at a very high level in individual or team sports. This would mean attendance at major Senior Championships such as Olympic, World, European & Commonwealth Games, or be a top ranked age group athlete. In team sports, a student would need to be competing in a Senior or age group National team that competes in an international competition.
We are well aware that athletes and team players who are competing at an International level already have excellent support from their clubs, sponsors & national governing bodies, therefore we will endeavour to put together a bespoke scholarship package that is best suited to their needs rather than providing access to a service that may not be required.
These awards are for students who compete at a high level in their chosen sport or who are a key member of the team and are encouraged to apply by the head coach or Athletic Union staff. Therefore the level of performance is not necessarily the determining factor.
These awards can include support in all the areas below or may just be a complementary membership at the discretion of the head coaches and AU staff.
Performance level guidelines for consideration for Leeds Beckett Athletic Union Award are detailed below.
- Scholarship offers will be made on the recommendation of American Football Head Coach Dale Bottomley
- Age group Internationals (achieving qualification standards for major age group championships)
- Men - Competing at step 3 of non-league or higher, former academy scholarship player or representative for England Universities
- Women - Registered to a club in the FA Women's Championship (tier 2) or above, Former NCAA D1 player or Youth International (Home nations or equivalent standard)
- Senior or age group international
- Play in Investec Premier Division
- GB International
- Home Nation International.
- U18 or above International honours
- Home Nation senior or age group international
- Super League squad player
- Elite Pathway player - 80% court time
- Scholarship offers will be made on the recommendation of Netball Head Coach Francine Hall
- Championship or League One player
- England or GB age group international
- Men - Scholarship offers will be made on the recommendation of LBU Head Coach Kerry Wood and Director of Rugby Colin Stephens
- Women - England senior or Under 20's international
- Men - Top 450 world ranking
- Women - Top 150 world ranking
- Joint - Junior Worlds individuals last 16 or better. British Junior Open U19 Quarter Finals or better. Junior European Championships quarter finalist. Part of the England Squash EDP programme
- Has or have had ATP / WTA world ranking points or reached the last round of qualifying draw in several events. Made a Minimum of three main draw appearances in British Tour Tier 1 events reaching the quarter finals or better. Have a Junior ITF ranking of 400 or less
- Standard: Proven record of winning individual BUCS medals in either Duathlon, Sprint Triathlon and/or Olympic distance triathlon in the previous 2 years. Alternatively having placed in top 10 at World U-23 championships, Top 5 at European U-23 championships or regular podium placement in British Triathlon Super Series events.
- Please note Triathlon scholarships are awarded on the recommendation of British Triathlon, Leeds Triathlon Centre and Leeds Beckett, for more information contact Mick Hill.
For the sports listed below you must be competing at a very high level. Achieving the guideline standards does not guarantee sport scholarship support.
Archery, Badminton, Basketball, Boxing, Canoeing, Clay Pigeon Shooting, Climbing, Cricket, Cycling, Equestrian, Fencing, Futsal, Golf, Gymnastics (Artistic), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Karate, Korfball, Lacrosse, Modern Biathlon / Pentathlon, Orienteering, Pool, Rifle, Rowing, Sailing, Snooker, Snowsports, Surfing, Swimming, Table Tennis, Trampolining, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Wakeboarding, Water Polo, Weightlifting & Windsurfing.
In team sports final decisions will be made following the trials which usually take place in September / October at the start of the academic year. Trials details (dates, times & venues) will be available during Freshers' Week.
Our scholarships can offer the following support, depending on the type of scholarship awarded:
- Financial support towards fees or as an honorarium. (The amount to be agreed with head coach, AU & scholarship manager)
- Sports Membership for 2021/2022 academic year (Gives free access to facilities and fitness classes)
- AU Sport Club Membership for 2021/2022 academic year (for your sport). This enables you to train with the team and compete for the University
- Strength & Conditioning support
- Physiotherapy support
- Workshops covering Performance Lifestyle, Nutrition, Sports Psychology
If you want to be a Leeds Beckett sports scholar, please check to see if you meet the selection criteria for your sport and complete our online application form.