Join the Leeds Beckett elite
Leeds Beckett University's sports scholarships are awarded to the best emerging athletes in the country and are given to students who are competing at the top level, whether it be in age group or senior competitions.
This year's class of scholarship athletes is headed by Team GB Triathlon star Alex Yee, who competes against the best triathletes in the world including Alistair and Jonny Brownlee and claimed silver in his first ever ITU World Triathlon Series race.
Amongst the scholars includes British Under 20's athletics champion Alex Botterill, IAAF Para-athlete champion Lydia Church, Great Britain Ice Climbing champion Emma Powell, Wales Rugby League international Sion Jones, England Rugby League stars Kelsey Gentles, Leah Burke and Tamzin Renouf and Scotland Rugby Union player Evie Tonkin.
Scholarship Hall of Fame
The scholarship programme at Leeds Beckett has an incredible heritage of supporting the best athletes on their way to the top. The established list of superstars to have graduated from the scholarship programme at LBU include:
- Team GB stars Alex Bell, Georgia Taylor-Brown, Laura Weightman, Sam Quek and Tom Bosworth
- England Lionesses Lucy Bronze and Jade Moore
- England Roses players Emily Scarratt and Vicky Fleetwood
- England Rugby League enforcer Alex Walmsley.
So can I be a scholar?
- Financial support - towards your fees or as an honorarium (the amount to be agreed with the Head Coach and Scholarship Manager)
- Professional Coaching - available in the sports highlighted in bold below
- 2019-20 academic year Sports Membership - allows access to all of the university's fitness and sports facilities including fitness classes and social sport programmes
- 2019-20 Athletic Union membership
- Minimum two strength & conditioning sessions per week
- Official Sports Scholarship leisurewear
- Physiotherapy support from the Coach House Physiotherapy Clinic
- Specialist workshops covering performance, lifestyle, nutrition and sports psychology
Performance level guidelines for Sport scholarship support are available below.
Students must be competing at age group or senior International level in the sports listed in the eligibility section - please note achieving the guideline standards does not guarantee sport scholarship support.
The panel welcomes applications from athletes who compete at World / Olympic Games level in a sport not mentioned above.
In team sports the coaching staff may need to recruit a player in a specific position who can be offered scholarship support even though they have not met the criteria guidelines for their sport.
- Scholarship offers will be made on the recommendation from LBU Head Coach Dale Bottomley
- Attend Senior Major Championships in the year of the application
- Achieve top eight in continental or world age group championships
- Playing for a BBL squad or WBBL squad
- Playing for a Women's Super League or a Women's Championships team.
- Senior or age group international
- Men - Play in English Premier Division, GB international, Home National international or Under 18's & above international honours
- Women - Play in Investec Premier Division, GB international, Home National international or Under 18's & above international honours
- Home Nation senior or age group international
- Super League squad player
- Championship or League One player
- England or GB age group international
- Men - Scholarship offers will be made on the recommendation from LBU Head Coach Kerry Wood and Director of Rugby Colin Stephens
- Women - England senior or Under 20's international
- Men - Top 450 world ranking
- Women - Top 150 world ranking
- Joint - Junior Worlds individuals last 16 or better. British Junior Open U19 Quarter Finals or better. Junior European Championships quarter finalist. Part of the England Squash EDP programme.
- Has or have had ATP / WTA world ranking points or reached the last round of qualifying draw/ played in several events. Made a Minimum of 3 main draw appearances in British Tour Events reaching the quarter finals or better. Have a Junior ITF ranking of 500 or less.
- Standard: Proven record of winning individual BUCS medals in either Duathlon, Sprint Triathlon and/or Olympic distance triathlon in the previous 2 years. Alternatively having placed in top 10 at World U-23 championships or Top 5 at European U-23 championships. Please note Triathlon has its own bonus scheme for details contact Mick Hill.
Meeting the criteria does not equate to entitlement to a scholarship.