Research at Leeds Beckett
About Alex Stevenson
Alex also continues to work as a freelance musician and engineer, and has previously produced, engineered and performed with UK Hip Hop acts including Shameless, Low Key and Plan B, which has included live performance for BBC Radio 1 (Maida Vale) and XFM, and headlining venues such as Fabric (London).
He is also Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and member of The Association for the Study of the Art of Record Production as well as being a Avid Certified Instructor for Pro Tools (Operator: Music).
- Analogue and Digital Audio Systems
- Studio Recording Techniques
- Mixing and Mastering
- Mixing Practice
Alex’s research interests include music production pedagogy, hip hop production practice and the role of live musicians in sample-based and electronic music, the latter of which is the topic of his PhD which he is undertaking at the University of Oslo.
Journal articles (1)
- Thompson PA; Stevenson A (2017) Missing a Beat: Exploring Experiences, Perceptions and Reflections of Popular Electronic Musicians in UK Higher Education Institutions. In: Thompson PA; Stevenson A The Ashgate Research Companion to Popular Music Education. London: Routledge, pp. 203-216.
Conference contributions (3)
- Stevenson A (2016) Funky Drummer? The use of Micro-Rhythmic Gestures in Live Hip Hop Performance University of Cambridge, UK 20160623. : .
- Stevenson A (2014) Authenticity and the role of live musicians in hip hop production University of Oslo, Norway 20141204. : .
- Stevenson A (2014) The UK Sound; British Hip Hop Production Practice University of Helsinki, Finland 20140913. : .