Research at Leeds Beckett
About Bryony Walker
Bryony Walker is a Senior Lecturer in Mental Health and Psychotherapy and Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. She is current lead of the interdisciplinary Support Work Scheme, which houses 8 Level 4 certificate courses. She is an HCPC registered Occupational Therapist and qualified coach.
Bryony has worked in residential, acute and community mental health settings. As a Senior OT, she specialised in Early Interventions in Psychosis (EIP) and qualified in Psychosocial Interventions using Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) for people experiencing psychosis and Family Work to provide education and support for carers. For over 10 years Bryony was project lead for the 12 session Positive Living and Understanding Psychosis (PLUS) course for carers delivered in partnership with Leeds and York Partnership Foundation Trust. She was responsible for content enhancement, the ‘train the trainer’ programme and group supervision of the 'expert by experience' and professional training team. Internationally, Bryony has delivered mental health awareness training to peripatetic HIV workers and workshops to family and carers and NGO’s in Zambia. She is currently programme lead for the design of a carer education and support project funded by the Department of Health for carers of people with dementia. Bryony is an implementer for the Regional Best Practice in Psychosis group. The group organises conference events to share innovations in psychosis practice.
Bryony is Scheme Leader for the Support Worker Provision and Course Leader for the Certificate in Mental Health Studies.
- Module Leaderships:
- Level 4 Modules
- Skills in Mental Health Practice
- Working with People
- Person - Centred Recovery
- Level 6
- Recovery in Mental Health
- Level 4 Modules
- Continuing Professional Development Modules (CPD)
- Practical Foundations for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Working with Depression and Anxiety in Practice
- Cognitive Behavioural Approaches for Psychosis
- Working with Families and Carers
- Foundations in Psychosocial Interventions for Psychosis
- Working with Complex Cases
- MSc Mental Health Practice
- MSc Occupational Therapy
- MA Chaplaincy
- MA Psychological Therapies
- BSc (Hons) / MSc Health and Community Care
- BSc (Hons) Adult Nursing
- BSc (Hons) Mental Health Nursing
- PG Cert Eating Disorders
Bryony has an interest in participatory action research involving carers of people with complex health conditions.