Dr Elisa Oliver
About Dr Elisa Oliver
Elisa has previously worked as a curator and public programmer for Tate, FACT and New Art Gallery Walsall, she has published in a range of journals such as Corridor 8 and organised major conferences such as Repeat Repeat for Chester University 2007. More recently as part of FEAST she has been working with the International Anthony Burgess Foundation in Manchester and the James Joyce Centre in Dublin on the curation of meals in the exploration of writing, region and identity as accessed through food and dining.
Dr Oliver has key responsibility for critical studies, in particular the delivery and management of the third year extended essay module, including essay supervision and the attendant learning support programme, with further contribution to year two courses. She also works with studio delivery in year one, managing a tutor group and acting as a personal tutor.
Dr Elisa Oliver’s research is interdisciplinary and addresses issues of class, masculinity and labour particularly in relation to Britain in the 1970s and 80s as part of a nexus of changing work and production conditions in the period. An interest in exploring the negotiations of these shifts through the utilisation of popular culture in the 1970s/80s in the work of artists Paul Housley, Paul Rooney and George Shaw formed the basis of her PhD research completed at Central St Martins, University of the Arts London.
These concerns are also expressed in her work as Co-Director of FEAST www.feastjournal.co.uk a peer reviewed online journal that explores the function and resonance of food in our everyday and provides an important critical space for the reflection, writing and commissioning of new work in the growing arena of food and art related discourses.
Journal articles (4)
- Oliver EF (In press) Feast (Issue 3, The Meal): The Politics of the Dinner Table in James Joyce's A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (1916)http://feastjournal.co.uk/issue/themeal/
- Oliver EF (In press) Feast (Issue 4, Spaces for Eating): Tasting Joyce - a reflection on taste as a potential space of curation and interpretation.
- Oliver EF (2017) The Politics of the Dinner Table in James Joyce's A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (1916)http://feastjournal.co.uk/article/the-politics-of-the-dinner-table-in-james-joyces-a-portrait-of-the-artist-as-a-young-man-1916/
- Oliver EF (2016) FEAST (Review: Decoration, Diabolical Roses).http://feastjournal.co.uk/article/a-collection-of-reviews/
Conference contributions (3)
- Oliver EF (2017) Setting The Table - The Home Studies Collection Manchester Metropolitan University 04/05/3017.
- Oliver EF (2016) The Recipe as Narrative and Text . http://www.womeninprintnetwork.wordpress.com/
- Oliver EF (2014) Identity and Place 01/01/2014.
- Oliver EF. FEAST (The Devil's Supper) Exhibition, 23/03/2016-30/05/2016http://feastjournal.co.uk/events/
Scholarly editions (1)
- Oliver EF (2016) FEASThttp://www.feastjournal.co.uk/