Dr Julia Claxton
About Dr Julia Claxton
Dr Julia Claxton is Principal Lecturer for Research in the Subject Area of Leadership, Governance & People Management. She oversees the NHS Graduate Management Scheme and teaches and researches in employee engagement, leadership development and action learning.
After 10 years in management Julia always felt the most satisfying part of her job was helping others to develop their careers and so entered the world of academia and consultancy to be able to do this more. She has developed and led master level programmes for practitioners and aspiring leaders in leadership and management development for 20 years in 4 universities. Julia helped organisations develop their leadership potential through action learning and bespoke leadership workshops. She supervises research projects where practitioners are making a real difference in their organisation. Currently she is focusing on employee engagement, feeling that if people are truly valued for who they are and what they do and if their work is properly aligned to organisational goals, then organisations can thrive.
- Employee Engagement
- Coaching Skills
- Managing Change
I am currently focussing on researching in the area of Employee Engagement and Leadership Development through Action Learning. I am running a stream on Employee Engagement at two conferences UFHRD and EuroMed. From one of these I am developing a Special Issue of Journal of Workplace Learning. Impact will be through development of this relatively new discipline and helping organisations to improve engagement which benefits people's working lives and organisational growth.
Journal articles (5)
- Claxton JC (2014) How do I know I am Valued
- Claxton JC (2014) Editorial - Special Issue for Employee Engagementhttp://www.emeraldinsight.com/journals.htm?issn=1366-5626&show=latest
- Claxton J; Gold J; Edwards C; Coope G (2009) Relevant and timely learning for busy leaders
- Claxton J; Mathers J; Terry DW (2005) The Benefits of using Action Learning and Student Feedbackhttp://iji.cgpublisher.com/product/pub.30/prod.1066
- Claxton J (2004) Innovative Forms of Organizing: International Perspectiveshttp://www.emeraldinsight.com/journals.htm?articleid=1492220
- Claxton JC; Gold J (2013) Leadership and Management Development. In: Gold J; Holden R; Iles P; Stewart J; Beardwell J Human Resource Development. : Palgrave Macmillan, pp. .
- Claxton JC (2005) Claxton J (2005) "A Step too Far? Are We Abusing the Concept of Left Brain/Right Brain in Learning and Development?". In: 16th International Conference on College Teaching and Learning. : , pp. .
Conference contributions (2)
Conference proceedings (14)
- Claxton JC (2013) Gauging Engagement. In: UFHRD Brighton, UK 05/06/2013 00:00:00. : , pp. .
- Claxton JC; Sajjadi A (2013) The role of Employee Engagement strategies in relation to other HRD interventions. In: UFHRD Conference 2013: HRD in Turbulent Seas - Continued Global Economic Uncertainty: Challenges and Opportunities Brighton Business School, University of Brighton 05/06/2013 00:00:00. : , pp. .http://www.brighton.ac.uk/bbs/ufhrd2013/
- Claxton JC (2013) Gauging Engagement. In: UFHRD Conference 2013: HRD in Turbulent Seas - Continued Global Economic Uncertainty: Challenges and Opportunities Brighton Business School, University of Brighton 05/06/2013 00:00:00. : , pp. .http://www.brighton.ac.uk/bbs/ufhrd2013/
- Sharifi S; Claxton JC (2012) To Manage or not to Manage Change: What is the Question?. In: 7TH COLLOQUIUM ON ORGANISATIONAL CHANGE & DEVELOPMENT ADVANCES, CHALLENGES & CONTRADICTIONS FOR THE HUMAN BEING AND THE ORGANIZATION Bern, Switzerland 13/09/2012 00:00:00. : , pp. .
- Claxton J; Sharifi S (2012) Foreseeing the past and reflecting the future: Losing, unlearning and forgetting it. In: HRD Conference Portugal . : , pp. .http://www.ufhrd.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/UFHRD2012KM2.pdf
- Barraclough S; Claxton J; Gaston S; Glaister C; Horsman D; James C; Preece D (2012) HRD in 2020: The era of the individual?. In: 'HRD in 2020', European HRD Conference Portugal . : , pp. .http://www.ufhrd.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/UFHRD2012Future71.pdf
- Claxton JC; Gold J (2008) Relevant and Timely Learning for Busy Leaders. In: International Action Learning Conference Henley Management College, UK 24/03/2008 00:00:00. : , pp. .
- Claxton JC (2005) The Dangers of Left Brain/Right Brain Thinking: How to Get Balance in Learning. In: 12th International Conference on Learning Granada, Spain . : , pp. 94.
- Claxton JC; Mathers J; Wetherell-Terry D (2005) Collaborative and Action Learning: Benefits and Implementation. In: 12th International Conference on Learning University of Granada, Spain 11/07/2005 00:00:00. : , pp. 94.
- Claxton JC; Mathers J (2005) Using Action Learning to Enrich Peer Feedback. In: 3rd Learning and Teaching Conference Leeds, UK 10/01/2005 00:00:00. : , pp. .
- Claxton JC; Mathers J (2004) Using Action Learning and Student Peer Feedback: The Benefits. In: 2nd Learning and Teaaching Conference Leeds University, Leeds, UK 16/12/2004 00:00:00. : , pp. .
- Claxton JC; Mathers J (2004) Using Action Learning and Student Peer Feedback: The Benefits. In: 2nd Learning and Teaching Conference Leeds, UK 16/12/2004 00:00:00. : , pp. .http://www.ldu.leeds.ac.uk/news/conference%2004%2005/documents/CLAXTONetalhandbook.pdf
- Claxton JC; Mathers J (2004) I go to my fellow students for support now thanks! I can do that on my own now thanks!. In: LTSN BEST Conference . : , pp. .http://www.business.heacademy.ac.uk/resources/reflect/conf/2004/claxton
- Claxton J (2002) Exploring How a Particular Assessment Method can be used to Develop Emotional Intelligence in Management Students "Work in Progress". In: LTSN BEST Conference Edinburgh, Scotland . : , pp. .https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDQQFjAA&url=%2Furl%3Fsa%3Dt%26rct%3Dj%26q%3D%26esrc%3Ds%26source%3Dweb%26cd%3D1%26ved%3D0CDQQFjAA%26url%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fciteseerx.ist.psu.edu%252Fviewdoc%252Fdownload%253Fdoi%253D10.1.1.198.910%2526rep%253Drep1%2526type%253Dpdf%26ei%3DP19IUd_yBYrT0QXjloCgAQ%26usg%3DAFQjCNFSpUYoOElRqsAgyszzn2v6ElZywg%26sig2%3D_GgcShmTgzJ7imFcOrjuEg%26bvm%3Dbv.43828540%2Cd.d2k&ei=P19IUd_yBYrT0QXjloCgAQ&usg=AFQjCNFSpUYoOElRqsAgyszz