Research at Leeds Beckett
About Jamie French
Jamie is a qualified UK Athletics Coach Education Tutor with 12 years experience. His research interests include measuring health behaviours of young people as well as measuring the affects of physical activity on both physical and psychological health. He is himself a graduate of Leeds Beckett having studied on the BA Physical Education going on to complete a Masters of Science Degree in Physical Activity and Health.
Jamie has coached athletics for 12 years and is a qualified UK Athletics Coach Education Tutor and his research interests include measuring health behaviours of young people as well as measuring the effects of physical activity on both physical and psychological health.
Jamie currently leads the BA Physical Education course as well as leading the final year students.
He also teaches Physical Activity and Health and Policy and Practice, but with particular expertise in Teaching and Coaching Athletics and Coach Education and Coach Development for UK athletics
Jamie's major research interests lie in the area of measuring young peoples healthy behaviours in a school setting and he is currently working with Education Leeds to develop a series of Health Behaviour questions.
Further to this, Jamie is also part of a long term National research project with the Department of Health looking at effective ways of promoting physical activity to a number of different target groups.
Jamie's other research interests include looking at the effect that physical activity has on the psychological well being of young people with a particular interest in exploring how physical activity can be used to manage depression.
Jamie is also very interested in researching how to increase aspects of performance in sprinting and horizontal jumps in athletics.
Journal articles (3)
- French J; Long M (2013), High Intensity Exercise in a Middle Distance Context
- Norman L; French J (2013), Understanding how High Performance Women Athletes Experience the Coach-Athlete Relationship
- French J; Smith A; Mckenna J; Long J (2007), How do children of different ages achieve public health physical activity targets during the school-week?
Newspaper or magazine articles (2)
- French J; Long M (2013), Warming performance: Ground-breaking research into prior high-intensity exercise
- French J; Long M (2012), How to improve your VO2 max
- Long M; French J (2016) The potentiation effects of high intensity warm ups in a middle distance context. The British Milers' club.
View Repository Record