Research at Leeds Beckett
About Jane Nolan
Jane is Senior Lecturer in English Language Teaching, Course Co-ordinator for Academic English and Study Skills and Pre-Sessional.
She has been working in English Language Teaching since 1983 when she started teaching at the British Council in Lisbon, Portugal. Since 1989 Jane has also taught at universities in Moscow (when it was the USSR), Hungary and the Czech Republic, mostly involved in Teacher Development, before coming to our University in 2003.
Jane has been involved in EAP (English for Academic Purposes) since the early 1990s and has taught it at all levels of the university curriculum, including to Phd students. Jane also enjoys teaching research methods at a range of levels and have supported many students and teachers in developing their own research projects over the years including on the MA ELT course.
Jane is fully qualified to teach English as a Foreign Language in accordance with the British Council's TEFLQ standard.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- Member, Association for Research into Higher Education.
- Module Leader: Language Awareness, MA ELT
- Module Leader: Second Language Acquisition and Methodology, MA ELT
- Module Leader: Methodology in Context, MA ELT
- Other Teaching: Research, MA ELT, International Foundation Year, Pre-Sessionals and Academic English and Study Skills
One of Jane's major areas of interest, in her own research, is the actual teaching and learning process. She has recently been involved in extended research projects at the university on 'formative' assessment; one collaborative research project around academics' understanding of such practices and the other assessing our own processes for improving students' take up of feedback, on the courses I run and teach on. Jane is currently involved in research on sociocultural approaches to teaching second language writing.
Conference proceedings (peer reviewed) (3)
- Nolan J; Poynter E (2010) Student-centred feedback. In: 44th Annual International IATEFL Conference & Exhibition Harrogate, UK . : , pp. .
- Nolan J; Poynter E (2009) Teacher: How can I improve my writing?. In: Biennial BALEAP (British Association for Lecturers in English for Academic Purposes) Conference Reading, UK . : , pp. .
- Nolan J; Mayfield W (2008) A Collaborative Enquiry into Academic Practice: an exploration of the meanings of formative assessment - A Preliminary Critical Discourse Analysis of the Institutional Context. In: SRHE (Society for Research into Higher Education) Annual Conference, Valuing Higher Education Liverpool . : , pp. .