About Jo Hassall
Jo Hassall is a Senior Lecturer in Graphic Arts and Design. Her practice-based research explores ways in which visual props can activate sites of learning.
With an established background in illustration and collage processes – current areas of work extend these methods within an educational context to explore and illuminate processes of study. The focus of her PhD was around the notion of the bricoleuse as hostess of the learning space, integrating bricolage and feminist pedagogic approaches to trigger playful and accessible space for critical enquiry, design thinking and making.
Jo is a member of feminist art collective, F=. Working collaboratively and with students and wider communities in the design and delivery of public events, using spectacle and humour to query, disrupt and explore mechanisms for social and political engagement and change making. This model of practice has helped shape both the curriculum and the student experience and community participation at a local level and nationally and internationally across art and design, feminist practices and educational fields of practice.
Collaborative and individual research projects and outcomes include conference papers, workshops, performance lectures, journal articles and co-design and delivery of graduate summer school, The Exploding University, forged through cross-university partnerships to explore the potential of collaborative learning space for socially engaged design.
Journal articles (9)
- Hassall J (2016) VaroomLab Journal 4: Visionarieshttp://theaoi.com/varoom-mag/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/VaroomLab-Journal-Issue4-Visionaries.pdf
- Hassall J (2015) Off Her Hostess-Trolley: Telling it a Different Way
- Gerlinger C; Faustmann T; Hassall JJ; Seitz C (2012) Treatment of endometriosis in different ethnic populations: a meta-analysis of two clinical trials
- van Weeren RJ; Röttgering HJA; Rafferty DA; Pizzo R; Bonafede A; Brüggen M; Brunetti G; Ferrari C; Orrù E; Heald G (2012) First LOFAR observations at very low frequencies of cluster-scale non-thermal emission: the case of Abell 2256
- Walker R; Hassall J; Chaplin S; Congues J; Bajayo R; Mason W (2011) Health promotion interventions to address climate change using a primary health care approach: a literature review
- Whelan BM; Taylor JA; Hassall JA (2009) Site-specific variation in wheat grain protein concentration and wheat grain yield measured on an Australian farm using harvester-mounted on-the-go sensors
- Townsend M; Hassall J (2007) Mainstream Students? Attitudes to Possible Inclusion in Unified Sports with Students who have an Intellectual Disability
- Ahr WM; Allen D; Boyd A; Bachman HN; Smithson T; Clerke EA; Gzara KBM; Hassall JK; Murty CRK; Zubari H (2005) Confronting the carbonate conundrum
- Hassall J (2003) Half a century in medicine through the eyes of a physician
- Hassall J (2015) Walk & Talk: On Foot Together; The Walk as a Site of Research, Action and Playhttp://www.conwayandyoung.com/news-2/
- Hassall J (2015) We Want People Who Can Drawhttp://www.art.mmu.ac.uk/events/2015/we-want-people-who-can-draw/
Conference contributions (8)
- Hassall J (2017) Architecture, Festival and the City Birmingham City University .
- Hassall J (2017) Provocative Pedagogies University of Lincoln .
- Hassall J (2017) Ideas of Revolt Sheffield Hallam University .
- Hassall J (2017) #DEAP17 Leed Beckett University 01/07/2017.
- Hassall J (2017) Practice as Research Symposium Leeds Arts Research Centre [LARC] Leeds Beckett University .
- Hassall J (2017) Playful Learning Metropolitan University .
- Hassall J (2017) Speak, body: Art, the Reproduction of Capital and the Reproduction of Life Faculty of Arts Humanities and Cultural Studies, University of Leeds 01/04/2017.
- Hassall J (2015) Off Her Hostess-Trolley: Telling it a Different Way .
Conference proceedings (2)
- Bockel-Rebelle MO; Hassall JK; Silva FP; Lozano JA; Al Deeb M; El Abd Salem S; Vesseron M; Al Mehsin K (2004) Faults, fracture corridors and diffuse fracturing: Ranking the main structural heterogeneities within onshore Abu Dhabi fields. In: . : , pp. 183-191.
- Hassall JK; Ferraris P; Al-Raisi M; Hurley NF; Boyd A; Allen DF (2004) Comparison of Permeability Predictors from NMR, Formation Image and other Logs in a Carbonate Reservoir. In: Abu Dhabi International Conference and Exhibition 10/10/2004 00:00:00. : SPE, pp. .
- Hassall J. Menopause Manifesto, (In press)-01/01/2014http://www.airspacegallery.org/index.php/projects/pigdogandmonkeyfestos
- Hassall J. Off Her Hostess Trolley, (In press)-(In press)http://www.fequals.co.uk/
- Hassall J. Burning the Bra, 01/03/2014-(In press)http://www.fequals.co.uk/
- Hassall J. Pigdogandmonkeyfestos, 01/05/2014-01/06/2014http://www.airspacegallery.org/index.php/projects/pigdogandmonkeyfestos
- Hassall J. Freedom Bin, 01/03/2015-(In press)http://www.fequals.co.uk/
- Hassall J. Festival of the Body, 01/03/2016-(In press)http://www.fequals.co.uk/
- Hassall J. Big Screen, 01/03/2017-(In press)
- Hassall J (In press) 'Shop Fronts & Sinks: An Illustrated Search for Myself in Shiny Surfaces'
- Hassall J (In press) 'Burn the Bra'
- Hassall J (In press) 'The Ultimate Pillow'http://www.art.mmu.ac.uk/events/2015/we-want-people-who-can-draw/%20%20http://www.conwayandyoung.com
- Hassall J (In press) Robinson Stirling
- Hassall J (In press) F=
- Hassall J (In press) Women, Visibility and Playful Acts
- Hassall J (In press) Visibility and Playful Acts Conference 2http://www.fequals.co.uk/
- Hassall J (In press) Symplasium
- Hassall J (In press) Project Radiohttp://www.projectradio.uk/f-introduce-women-visibility-and-playful-acts/
- Hassall J (In press) Varoomlab Visionarieshttp://www.visionaries.org.uk/programme/
- Hassall J (In press) Leeds Cultural Conversations
- Hassall J (In press) Parity like it's 2069http://www.southsquarecentre.co.uk/index.php?/gallery/future/
- Hassall J (In press) Women in the City