Research at Leeds Beckett
About Kate Grafton
Kate is National Teacher Fellow, Principal Lecturer and Professional Lead for Physiotherapy. Kate is part of the team that teaches across the BSc and MSc (pre-registration) programmes with a specific interest in resilience, reflective practice and pedagogic healthcare research.
Kate initially came to Leeds Metropolitan University in 2004 on a part-time lecturer-practitioner basis subsequently moving into full-time education. Kate's clinical specialty is CVR (cardiovascular and respiratory) specifically intensive care, surgery and organ transplantation.
Kate qualified from Leeds Metropolitan University in 1997 and worked as a clinical physiotherapist at Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust in Leeds for 15 years. Working in the field of cardiovascular and respiratory care.
Kate teaches across BSc (Hons) and MSc Pre-Registration Physiotherapy Programmes and contributes to the university PGCap qualification:
- Professional Skills for Practice
- Cardiovascular and Respiratory
- Multi-system physiology
- Research Methods
- Leadership in Healthcare
Kate’s research interests focus mainly around pedagogy in physiotherapy education. Contemplative education strategies such as building resilience, mindful education and reflective practice. Current projects focus on exploring the use of Virtual Reality and immersive simulation in physiotherapy and healthcare education.
Journal articles (2)
- Milligan J; Grafton K; Hammond JA (2018), 'Student-y or studious': An exploration of students' perceptions of parallel learning in preregistration physiotherapy education. Physiotherapy Theory and Practice
View Repository Record
- Grafton K (2011), PMI2, Physiotherapy and international placements: our experience. Assessment, Teaching and Learning Journal, vol. 11
View Repository Record
Conference contributions (4)
- Altinors W; Folley D; Grafton KA (2017) Induction: It's not just showing them the toilets Leeds Beckett University 20170629. : .
- Grafton K; Theaker C (2017) Teaching Excellence: Building Bridges National Teacher Fellow Conference Leeds Beckett University 20170510. : .
- Milligan J; Grafton K (2016) An exploration of students' views of parallel teaching in pre-registration physiotherapy education Liverpool, UK 20161111. : Elsevier.
- Milligan J; Grafton K; Hammond JA (2016) An exploration of students´ views of parallel teaching in pre-registration physiotherapy education Liverpool 20161111. : Elsevier.
Conference proceedings (peer reviewed) (2)
- Milligan J; Grafton K; Hammond JA (2016) An exploration of students´ views of parallel teaching in pre-registration physiotherapy education. In: . : Chartered Society of Physiotherapists, pp. e54-e55.
- GRAFTON K (2008) Rehabilitation after renal transplant. In: Advances in Renal Physiotherapy Conference . King's College London: , pp. .
- Staff, students and colleagues gather to celebrate 75 years of Physiotherapy education at Leeds Beckett University
- Teaching excellence success for Leeds Beckett
- 75 years of Physiotherapy education celebrated at Leeds Beckett
- News in brief – December 2016
- Leeds Beckett lecturer awarded prestigious national fellowship
- Leeds Beckett academics present research at annual event for the world's physiotherapists