There are a few things you'll need to think about when you apply to study abroad but don't worry, we've got you covered. Our step-by-step guide will help you through the whole process.
We ask you to start planning for your exchange at least 6 months in advance to give you enough time to complete the required paperwork and to give you plenty of time to make the necessary arrangements for your time abroad.
If you're not sure about anything or need a bit more help, our Study Abroad team are on hand to help with any questions you may have every step of the way. You can contact them via email - email@example.com - or you can arrange a meeting with a member of the team via MyHub.
Deadlines for applications
- For full year or September term exchange - 20 January
- For January term exchange - 1 June
Before you start...
To study a year or a term abroad you must meet the following requirements by the end of the term in which you apply:
- Be enrolled & attending classes in a degree course at Leeds Beckett
- Have successfully passed all previous years of study
- No failed modules
- Achieve an average grade of 50% or higher in your previous years of study
- Meet the specific course requirements (check with your academic leader)
- Have your study abroad application endorsed by your School
Keep in mind that places are competitive and allocated based on first year average mark - the higher your mark, the higher chance you have of securing your preferred university
1. Research your exchange
There are over 150 universities to consider so give yourself plenty of time to research. To help narrow down your search consider the following: check that your course is offered, destination, distance, costs and your future plans.
- Start planning at least 6 months before you want your exchange to begin
- Choose three universities in order of preference
- Get in touch with the Study Abroad team for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Contact your Academic Advisor
To study abroad you must have approval from your school. Once you have selected your top three choice of universities, arrange a meeting with your Academic Advisor before applying.
Top Tip: It is useful to bring course content from the host university to your meeting if you are able to find it.
3. Complete your application
Complete your online application form listing your 3 chosen universities in order of preference.
- 20 January (for full year or September term)
- 1 June (for January term)
4. Selection process
- You will be notified about the outcome of your application 2-3 weeks after the deadline (excluding incomplete applications, applicants with incomplete assessments, deferred or supplementary exams)
5. Complete your study plan
- Once nominated you will be required to submit your study plan
- Download the study plan form, this needs to be signed and approved by your Course Leader so you can obtain credit. You must complete 60 credit points equivalent per semester
- Submit your signed and approved study plan to the Study Abroad office at email@example.com
6. Complete host university application
- Upon receiving a completed study plan, you will receive instructions on how to apply to the host university from the Study Abroad team
- Compile all required supporting documents requested by the host university, such as academic transcripts, portfolio, copy of passport, statement of purpose, financial evidence, etc.
- Submit all documents to the Study Abroad team by the stated deadline at firstname.lastname@example.org
7. Acceptance and welcome pack
- Await your official acceptance and welcome pack from your host university. Your exchange is not guaranteed until you receive a final admission / acceptance from the host university
8. Prepare for your departure
- Once you have received your final acceptance, apply for your visa, book your accommodation, apply for Leeds Beckett insurance, health insurance etc. as advised in your welcome pack
- Once you have your visa document, book your flights
- Attend the mandatory pre-departure session
9. Go on your exchange!
- Contact us upon arrival
- Update us with your accommodation address and contact number
- Attend all mandatory induction sessions
- Have the most incredible experience of your life!