To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video
February 2024 start

Apply by the end of September

October 2024 start

Apply by the end of May


What type of research degree?

Choose which type of research degree you want to study.

Types of research degrees


Discuss your idea with an academic supervisor

If you want to study for a PhD or an Mres, search our database of academic experts by the subject area you are interested in.

Discuss your research proposal idea with the relevant academic staff member.

Find an academic supervisor



Once you have agreed in principle your research proposal idea, complete an application form and send it to The Graduate School. We will process your application and it will go to the relevant Academic Board for consideration.

Make sure to submit your application form to Research Admisisons -, along with:

  • Your research proposal
  • Scanned copies of your degree certificates (e.g. undergraduate or masters degree certificates) and transcripts.
  • Scanned copies of your English language requirements.
  • Scanned copies of your passport and previous UK visas if applicable.
Application form



We will notify you as soon as a decision has been made (typically around 4 weeks) and we will let you know what happens next and give you all the information you need.