I responded to a few directly and also posted a couple of aligned but not tagged tweets. As a result, I found myself exploring themes including coaching, differentiation and inclusion, and mastery. The responses were revealing. My reflections on them include that:

• Performance and performativity need to continue to be questioned as they have a pernicious effect in teaching
  • Some teachers do not feel that they are able to voice concerns or contribute to practice decisions in their schools
  • Some teachers are losing their love for teaching because they feel like puppets 
  • That despite adopting the term research in their branding ResearchED seem unwilling to engage with more than a few select researchers
  • That the marketisation of educational spaces and the taking of territory by providers such as National Institute of Teaching and Ambition Institute are fully operationalised, including in this so-called grassroots teacher organisation

Of course, these reflections beg the question ‘so what?’

I am writing this blogpost directly after contributing to the opening panel session of the BERA 2023 conference. My reflections became relevant as I crafted a response to the question “What do universities contribute to professional learning now and in the future?”
I started with my take-away message (in case the audience drifted off) and that was that an essential role for universities, which boils down to being an essential role for academics who teach and research in education to HOLD THE SPACE for professional learning.

For many of us we are currently having to hold tight to this space, and this is uncomfortable, it demands hard work and is ridden with tension. But if we do not hold the space now we cannot anticipate a more positive future role.

What do I mean by ‘holding the space’?

It is a phrase frequently used to describe the way that I and colleagues work within the research and practice centre CollectivED. I am confident that many blog readers will have had similar feedback about the work that you do. It is not my term, but one which resonates with me.

When ‘holding the space’ is used in that context it has several inferences:

• A space in which to think, articulate ideas, share practice, experience dissonance, engage with alternative perspectives, be curious, develop a shared language, connect ideas and conceptual understanding and elicit feedback
  • A space which problematises and promotes research in education as a practice, and which uses theory as a way of developing insight – a space in which research traditions are not overlooked while at the same time prioritising the development of new method and methodologies
  • An emotionally safe space, in which it is ok to ask questions and be vulnerable (at all stages in a professional life)
  • A space which appreciates professional learning as complex, dynamic and non-linear, and which celebrates professional identities as fluid and inter-sectional
  • A sustained and extended space – one which persists beyond programmes and silos, one that builds communities rather than cohorts, one that can be engaged with flexibility and with reciprocity

So, what is the nature of the space we hold?

In our role in universities we create and can hold both formal and informal spaces.  We develop degree programmes, support research degrees, undertake research projects. Each of these create structured spaces for professional learning which also all give an opportunity for building relationships with professionals, offering opportunities that extend their thinking, and help them to gain experiences and qualifications that will have currency and legacy.

We also use social media, networked communities, and a range of publications to create new spaces, to reach out and give space to professional voices.

The spaces we create might be characterised as maker spaces, quiet spaces, spaces at boundaries and borders. Ultimately, they must be brave spaces because we need brave professionals who will go onto the hold safe, sustained, life-enhancing space for others.

Professor Rachel Lofthouse

Professor / Carnegie School Of Education

Rachel Lofthouse is Professor of Teacher Education in the Carnegie School of Education. She has a specific research interest in professional learning, exploring how teachers learn and how they can be supported to put that learning into practice.