First, let’s make one thing clear… You don’t need to be the smartest student in the room to be a study aboard candidate! I got into Leeds Beckett on an unconditional offer with just above average A-Level grades. However, what set me apart from the others was my determination and grit to achieve my goal of studying abroad. Therefore; I would like to share with you how the application process isn’t as tedious as you may think, and how the experiences that I’ve had here in Australia have enabled me to develop my confidence, my life skills and my future opportunities.

Studying abroad was always on my ‘to do’ list so knowing this I naturally put more effort into the application process itself and became motivated to get good grades (which are deemed applicable by the study aboard team). When I visited universities on their open days, I always visited the study abroad stands and gathered as much information as I could.

Making the decision to study abroad is absolutely massive, because you are in an unfamiliar environment and far away from family and friends. It is therefore imperative that you make the right decision! I’ve only studied at Victoria University in Melbourne for one semester, but whilst here I have met some wonderful people and had an awesome time!

Personally, my time in Australia has really highlighted just how much of an accolade this experience is on your CV.

When applying for a job, you will stand out heaps as it demonstrates to perspective employers that you are independent, adaptable and organised; since you have travelled, studied and embraced a different culture in a distant country. Whilst here in Oz I’ve also had the opportunity to promote Leeds Beckett University at a Melbourne overseas study event. At the event I chatted to different staff and one professor has given me her contact details, should I ever need help with my dissertation or any other research projects when I’m back in the UK.

So WHY is studying aboard an absolutely amazing experience that presents a life changing opportunity?

• It enhances your CV
  • It equips you with life skills that you would probably never learn if you don’t leave the UK.
  • It offers you opportunities to strengthen your network of friends
  • It promotes knowledge and understanding of different cultures and studying at a different University.

With all of that said, I hope that this blog has informed your decision as to whether studying aboard is for you and I wish you the best of luck if you have decided to take the plunge and live a life in the land down under! Always happy to have a chat if you bump into me on campus too!

♯maketherightdecision ♯noregrets ♯livestudyenjoy!