I am a level 5 international student from India. I am currently studying the Sports and Exercise Science with Integrated Foundation Year degree, which I am also the course representative for.

I grew up loving and playing sports and watching it on TV. I knew from a young age I wanted a career in sport. After much investigation, the Sport and Exercise Science course sounded like the right course for me and would help me pursue my desired career.

Whilst searching for a university, I made sure I considered all of my options. I looked at quite a few universities that offered the Sports and Exercise Science course, but none of them matched up to Leeds Beckett. The course at Leeds Beckett has a perfect blend of theoretical and practical learning, and the brilliant sporting city that Leeds is; it made it an easy decision. Leeds Beckett also offered a foundation year which was appealing for me, to allow me to settle into university life. It was like being home away from home, it just felt right.

The course has been fantastic so far. It has given me a broader view of the options that are available to me. The foundation year gave me the opportunity to study for a year to get a taster of the course to make sure my choice of degree was the correct one. It also equipped me with better academic skills to meet the study requirements I needed for the next level. It also allowed me more time to get accustomed to a new city and manage all the new challenges that came with moving from India to Leeds. 

There have been many things that I have enjoyed at Leeds Beckett. One of my favourite things has been the course structure, especially the employability module during level 5. It allowed me to think about my career options and develop specific skills. I also like how approachable and easy to talk to the lecturers are. As an international student, the amount of support the university provides is remarkable. 

For anyone considering studying the foundation year, you should go for it. It will help develop you academically and professionally for the parent course. The course has been excellent, and I thoroughly enjoy it. I have another year left to study and I can’t wait to see what the year brings.