Abigail Protheroe head shot

Sport and Exercise Science student, Abigail Protheroe, shares the reasons why she chose to study at Leeds Beckett, and how her studies are helping her fulfil an ambition to become a Sports Psychologist. 

Why did you choose to study Sport and Exercise Science?

I chose to study BSc (Hons) Sport & Exercise Science as an undergraduate because sport has been in my life for as far back as I can remember; initially from participation in elite gymnastics and subsequently from various coaching roles, where I’ve enjoyed every opportunity granted to me to motivate and inspire a new generation of athletes. These experiences ultimately led to my desire to study sport and exercise science. 

Why did you choose to study Sport and Exercise Science at Leeds Beckett University?

Leeds Beckett University was my institution of choice for my undergraduate degree for many reasons. It has great global and UK university rankings, the Sports & Exercise Science degree is endorsed by BASES, it has an impressive alumni cohort and state-of-the-art facilities. Ultimately, Leeds Beckett is highly regarded for sports degrees. 

So far in my studies, I’ve been well supported by my tutors, and my academic advisor has been instrumental in providing direction and career guidance. Making sure students are employable is a priority for Leeds Beckett, and this was also an important consideration for me when choosing which university to go to.  

What are you career aspirations for after you graduate university?

After I graduate from Leeds Beckett, I’m considering combining an Open University course in Psychology alongside doing a Postgraduate course in Sports Psychology. My aim is to become a Sports Psychologist. 

What skills are you learning on your course which will help you become a Sports Psychologist?

The BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Science course at Leeds Beckett has developed my knowledge and given me a good understanding of the four core disciplines: Biomechanics, Physiology, Nutrition and Psychology. This has provided me with a diverse appreciation of the theories and models that sports psychologists might place in their interventions with clients. 

There have been a wide variety of modules and projects throughout my undergraduate studies that have given me the skills to critically evaluate research and problem solve to find solutions. Interactive group seminar sessions and group projects have developed my communication and team-building skills. 

What do you enjoy most about studying Sport and Exercise Science? 

It’s a multi-disciplinary course that ensures the content can be partly personalised, so that optional modules can be tailored to your career path. As a result, I have used this opportunity to prioritise units that will help me specialise and fulfil my ambition of being a Sports Psychologist. 

By using some of the latest technology in Biomechanics, I’ve had insight into theories and approaches on how to optimise an athlete’s performance, whilst the physiology and psychology elements have given me a broader understanding of the mental, psychological, metabolic factors that impact the mind and body. 

Your learning takes place within the new Carnegie School of Sport building. Can you tell us a little about the facilities and how access to this state-of-the-art equipment helps facilitate your learning?

I had the privilege of being one of the first cohorts of students to learn in the new building, which was incredibly motivating. 

The Carnegie School of Sport building provides me with the space and facilities needed to put into practice what I learn in the classroom. The labs and equipment I get to use really are world-class. 

As part of my studies, I’ve also had the opportunity to complete research and analysis from experiments conducted on the rooftop sprint track. 

You’re part of the Leeds Beckett gymnastics team, can you tell us a little about that?

Gymnastics has been a passion of mine since joining my local gymnastics club at the age of 5, where I attempted all disciplines before settling on tumbling. Prior to coming to university, I’d stopped competing in the sport but was still working part-time as a gymnastics coach. Whilst I enjoyed this opportunity, a part of me missed the excitement of the competition.

I joined the Leeds Beckett Gymnastics team during my second year so that I could continue to be involved in a sport I am passionate about. Being part of the team has refreshed the way I feel about the sport. I am learning new skills and I have been encouraged by my teammates and coaches to start competing in artistic gymnastics again. Meeting so many talented and inspiring athletes and creating what I hope will be life-long friendships has been very rewarding.

How do you balance your study, gymnastics as well as working part time as a gymnastics coach?

With so many commitments, I quickly realised that I needed to manage my time and adopt a routine. As a result, I make sure that I plan ahead each week and prioritise requirements so that I can allocate enough time for my studies, training and work. However, there are times when I have an unexpected assessment or an additional shift and when I find myself in these situations, I re-prioritise deadlines and only commit to do extra if I have available time.