For this Black History Month, I would like to highlight two women who have had an important impact on my life.

The first is probably quite obvious: my mum. My mum is called Grace, she left Barbados to undertake missionary work in Africa in her early twenties and eventually settled in Leeds. She had some amazing opportunities and experiences, but as soon as I was born, she gave her all to ensure I could have as much opportunity in my life. She sacrificed to allow me to have a great education and to freely chase my sporting dreams. My awareness of the sacrifices she made in the name of my future gave me such a strong feeling of gratitude. Everything I did, I wanted to do as well as I could so that her sacrifice wouldn’t be for nothing. I think competing at two Olympics definitely justifies the sacrifice, don’t you think? I know she feels immense pride in seeing me maximising the opportunities I’ve been given, and that makes me happy.

Heather was an inspiring and selfless woman, just like my mum still is now. I’m grateful to them both for giving me, and many others the opportunity to thrive in this world, regardless of my skin colour.

The second is a lady called Heather Nelson. Sadly, Heather passed away earlier this year, but she leaves behind a major legacy for the black community in Leeds. Heather was the driving force of the Black Health Initiative, who strive for equality of education, health, and social care. Heather also founded the Legacy Awards, which celebrates excellence by those seldom recognised for their achievements from the Black British Community of Leeds. I was lucky enough to win the Sports award once, I was also nominated for the International Impact award, and I’ve since been invited back each year to attend as a previous winner. The recognition was wonderful, but the Legacy Awards allowed me to meet and connect with people I would’ve never had a chance to.

Learn more about Black History Month initiatives and events here. Contribute your thoughts by writing to alumni@leedsbeckett.ac.uk.