Leeds Law School

My placement at Silk Family Law

Following on from my Family Law module in my second year of the LLB at Leeds Law School, I was delighted to be able to do a placement at Silk Family Law in Leeds. This is the area of law I would like to pursue when I graduate later this year. 

When I first started, I felt very nervous, but I was determined to be positive and demonstrate my drive for this area. Throughout the placement I was involved in client meetings, attending court hearings and even did the firm’s code of conduct training. This training was really interesting as the group regularly deals with cases where legal professionals have been involved in issues around professional misconduct; it really drove home the importance of issues such as client confidentiality. Being present at client meetings also helped me understand the various legal processes, such as divorce and child proceedings and how the solicitor connects and builds a rapport with their clients. 

This experience has helped me to improve my organisational and communication skills, which will help me train as a solicitor. I found the most valuable aspect of the placement was the nice feeling when helping and supporting clients. 

By Catherine Parkin, Karen Fisher and Rob O’Brien
10 Dec 2020