We took the opportunity to speak to some of our new graduates at the event, to find out what they’re up to now, what they enjoyed most about their experience at Leeds Law School, and what their advice would be to our new students starting out this Autumn term.

Beth Feather, LLB Law with Criminology

“The thing I enjoyed most about Leeds Law School was the community we had. It’s so supportive and helps you grow, socially and academically.

“You just have to try your best, that’s all you can do. When it feels like it’s getting hard, just keep going!”

Student smiles at the camera wearing cap and gown, wearing a light coloured dress standing on front of the James Graham building

Caitlin Sykes, LLB Law

“My experience at Leeds Law School has been so friendly and fun, but it also gave me a lot of structure. My writing skills have improved and I’ve secured a role straight out of university as a legal assistant at True Solicitors while I do a Master’s at Newcastle.

“To new students I’d say: just go for it! Enjoy the whole experience and make all your options count.”

Student smiles at the camera wearing cap and gown, with two guests, wearing a black dress, in front of the James Graham building

Ashna Shanthoo, LLB Law

“My advice is just to work and study as hard as possible. It sounds obvious, but law is hard; you have to be invested in it. And get as much vocational experience as possible.

“I’m now looking for paralegal roles and the work experience I gained at university will help me secure employment.”

Student smiles at the camera wearing cap and gown, wearing a pink and cream outfit standing in front of the James Graham building

Cheryl Armit (mature student), LLM in the Laws of England and Wales

“Leeds Law School has been amazing. I work in the forces, but I want to be a barrister. I needed a distance learning course because of my job, and it’s worked out perfectly – the communication between me and my tutors was brilliant from the off, they were so responsive and helpful, and the online resources meant I could learn and access information from anywhere I was in the world (I travel a lot in my job).

“My advice would be to be realistic about the time it will take you to study for a master’s. You will have to sacrifice a bit of your social life – I was doing a couple of hours a night and then a day at the weekend, around my work. But it’s so worth it! The master’s at Leeds Law School has been straightforward and hassle-free.

Student smiles at the camera wearing cap and gown, wearing a dark dress and black heels, standing in front of the James Graham building

Al Kamal Mo Badruzzaman (mature student), LLM in the Laws of England and Wales

“I run my own recruitment business, but completing my LLM was something I’d always wanted to do. At the age of 39, I’ve now done it! I’m now considering the LPC or going straight to Bar.

“It’s been a great opportunity and I’ve learnt so much. Although hard work, it’s been manageable alongside my business because of online learning. I’d recommend it to anyone.”

Student smiles at the camera wearing cap and gown, wearing a red tie and navy suit

Soraia Embalo, LLB Law with Criminology

“I loved learning about contract law, tort law and employment law on my course. Being aware of your rights is so important.

“The tutors are pushy but in a good way, they always worked hard with us to achieve our goals and they really invested their time and efforts in us.

“My advice would be don’t get too comfortable. I finished my first year with a great grade and got complacent in my second year. Don’t – you’ve got to keep working hard and striving ahead all the time.”

“I’ve landed two jobs since finishing uni, one in a banking firm and one in a law firm. I’ve yet to decide! I’m also considering an LPC next year.”

Student smiles at the camera wearing cap and gown, wearing a pink and purple dress with pink heels, standing in front of the James Graham building

Alfred Sesay, LLB Law

“I’ve come away from uni with so many new skills and knowledge. I want to work in business, but everything I’ve leant about employment law, company law and commercial law is so relevant. I’ve loved the community at Leeds Beckett, the tutors at Leeds Law School have been so helpful, and I’ve made lifelong friends.

“My advice to new students would be to get ahead – do the work before it’s even asked of you, be really organised in your studies and you’ll be fine.”

Student smiles at the camera wearing cap and gown, wearing a checked blue suit

Beth Rees, LLB Law with International Business

“My experience at Leeds Law School has been amazing, I’m so happy to be celebrating here today with a first. I’m now doing an LPC in Manchester with a view to becoming a qualified solicitor afterwards.

“My advice to new students is simple – make the most of every single opportunity you get at Leeds Law School, because there are plenty!”

Student smiles at the camera wearing cap and gown, wearing a blue dress and dusky pink heels, standing in front of the James Graham building

Cedric Atse, LLB Law with International Business

“The best bit about Leeds Law School is the support you get from your tutors, it never wanes. I’m now enrolled on a master’s here and I can’t wait to get started. My aim is to secure a role in Humanitarian Law afterwards.

“My advice to new students would be to keep going and don’t give up. It can feel like a lot of pressure sometimes, but keep pushing on with your career goals firmly in mind.”

Happy student smiles at the camera wearing cap and gown, wearing a white shirt and suit trousers, standing on the grass at Headingley Campus

Subhan Hussain, LLB Law

“I’ve learnt so many skills across all parts of law that I now feel confident in securing a number of different career paths. Take advantage of all the wisdom of the academic team, because they are incredibly supportive, and just work hard, be consistent and manage your time properly. Ask for help if you need it.”

Student looks at the camera wearing cap and gown, wearing a grey suit, standing in front of the James Graham building

Coreen Motsi, LLB Law with Criminology

“My grandma is proud to be here today! I’m so pleased to have got a first and secured a paralegal role at Knights PLC. I couldn’t have done it without the incredible support from Leeds Law School and the lovely lecturers.

“It’s challenging for sure, and it can be a rollercoaster at times, but it’s so worth it. My advice to new students starting out would be don’t give up. Be patient, you will fail sometimes but just keep trying and learn from everything and everyone. If you get into a rhythm with your studies and get ahead wherever possible, you’ll do well."

Student smiles at the camera wearing cap and gown, wearing a colourful dress and white heels, standing on the grass at Headingley Campus

Safah Saghir, LLB Law

“My advice would just be not to stress! Enjoy every minute because it goes so quickly. Don’t miss lectures, get all the support you need, work hard and have fun. That’s what university is about.”

Four students smile at the camera wearing cap and gown, they are standing on grass

Niamh Burke, LLB Law

“It was great to celebrate everyone’s hard work today! I have had an absolute blast during my three years of undergraduate study and look forward to the next two years on my LPC. Thank you to everyone at Beckett for making my time so memorable, I have loved every second.

“My advice is to start as you mean to go on. Preparation is key, and keep determined because the hard work will be rewarded. Trust me!”

Student throws cap in the air while wearing a gown, standing on the grass in front of the James Graham building

Martina Boccia, LLB Law with International Business

“Take advantage of all the help and advice the Law School offers, go to the drop-ins, don’t be afraid to ask the tutors for help and make full use of the library and all the textbooks on offer (especially the revision guides!). But most importantly, enjoy yourself and always remember you are not alone - there are so many people that can and will help you.”

Student smiles at the camera wearing cap and gown, holding a bunch of flowers, two guests stand either side.

Brad Graves, LLB Law

“Do the reading. It seems a lot at first, but it slowly becomes manageable and makes the workshops so much easier. There was a point midway through subjects where, because of the reading, the dots started to join up and things started to click. By the time it comes to your exams/assessments, all there’s really left to do is apply all this reading into answering a question.

“Socially, get yourselves signed up to the Law Society. It’s the best thing I ever did. I made great friends and became the President during my second year. I’m still very close with those on my committee.”

Nykki-Marie Smith, LLB Law

“After a long year, it was amazing to be able to celebrate graduating with friends and family. My advice would be to throw yourself into everything, societies, clubs, networking events. They’re very scary to start, but it gives you a lot of confidence and opens up a lot of opportunities for later on.”

Two student smile at the camera wearing cap and gown, standing in front of the James Graham building LBU signs

It’s just the beginning for our graduates, and we wish them every success in the future. Whether you’re just starting your journey at Leeds Law School, part way into your degree, or considering studying with us one day, you can find out more about the career development opportunities and academic and pastoral support available to you at Leeds Beckett, on the Leeds Law School webpages.

Law student Naomi also wrote a blog about support at Leeds Law School.

Leeds Law School

Our Law School sits in the heart of the great city of Leeds, one of the UK's largest legal hubs. It is perfectly placed to ensure all our undergraduate and postgraduate students are able to mine the wealth of practical experience and employment opportunities available on our doorstep.