This year's International Women's Day theme is 'Inspire Inclusion'. Here's what our Law community had to say about inspiring others to understand and value women's inclusion. 

Professor Nnenna Ifeanyi-Ajufo, Professor of Law and Technology: “Women have continued to show themselves as determined, tenacious and change-driven in the legal profession. There are so many great women in the profession who take pride in being change-focused, for example, it is exciting to see this current generation of women forging into the terrains of law and technology – a space traditionally conceived as male dominated.

I believe the right question to be asked is - how can the legal profession be shaped in a manner that enhances an environment which allows women to thrive and succeed.  Interestingly, law provides the foundation for women’s rights, especially for inclusion, non-discrimination, and equality. I’d say that policy development which is aimed at the improvement of the legal profession must also be strategically designed in a gender sensitive manner. Women must consciously be given the space to thrive, and that implies a deliberate enhancement of inclusion and participation for women as they seek paths to career elevation in the profession.”

Dr Louisa Ashley, Head of Subject: “To thrive in the law profession as a woman, be armed with a calm but firm temperament, a positive inner voice and a sense of humour. Oh, and of course, be resilient and ready to smash through the glass ceiling, beware the glass escalator, and watch out for the glass cliff.”

Dr Anne-Marie Greenslade, Senior Lecturer: “Opportunity is generally seen as something that comes from external factors: employers who support and promote women’s achievements, institutions that invest in female students etc. But we don’t always consider the more deep-rooted internal factors that can hold women back in law. 

“Imposter syndrome, lack of confidence and the belief that we shouldn’t boast are often more of a barrier to taking opportunities, but as they are harder to quantify, it is difficult to know how much of a difference this makes. 

“There is a statistic that suggests for a job requiring 10 specific criteria, on average, men who only meet as few as three of the criteria would still “have a go”, while women who meet eight of them would see themselves as ineligible to apply. So maybe the question we need to ask in 2023 is “How can we encourage women to believe that they can thrive and succeed in the profession?”

Dr Suzzie Oyakhire, Senior Lecturer: “I realise that our family background contributes significantly to the way we as women thrive in the legal profession.  I was fortunate to grow up in a home where I had the support of my parents to achieve my professional goals and this, I recognise, has made my journey easier than most.

“To succeed and thrive in the legal profession in 2024 and beyond, we as women must have allies within and outside the legal profession and nurture relationships with likeminded professionals. I have been lucky to have supportive allies, women, and men inclusive within the legal profession, who continue to contribute to my development in several ways.

We should be open to constructive criticisms; learning, unlearning, and relearning is key to growth, and this should be embraced in order to thrive in the legal profession. We too can become the beacon for other women.”

Agata Fijalkowski, Reader: “I grew up in a Polish household where there was nothing that a woman could not do. My father was my cheerleader. He supported my decisions and made sure to celebrate my achievements. Every attempt, even if it resulted in failure, was viewed as a way forward. 

“He loved films, like those of the Polish filmmaker Agnieszka Holland, whose movies portray families like mine really well and describe normal people caught up in the wheels of history. Holland's own philosophy is inspirational: be yourself and speak about things you really care about. In addition to my father, I am lucky to have been surrounded by strong women who never apologise for who they are and who are inspired by one another's achievements. Such acknowledgment goes a long way.”

Kate Astall, Lecturer in Law: “I am fortunate to work with some really inspiring women within Leeds Law School who demonstrate leadership, ambition and a determination to support other women. 

“On International Women’s Day, I hope women in law remember to foster their own self-belief, reflect on their achievements and feel proud of any obstacles they may have had to overcome. When we recognise our self-worth, nothing is impossible!”

Jodie Hill, MD of Thrive Law and Leeds Law School alumni: “I believe in creating spaces where women can thrive in their careers in 2024 and beyond. Men remain four times more likely to make it to partner level, despite there being more women than men who start out practicing law in the UK. 

“I founded Thrive Law because I needed a place where I could thrive and where I could help women to forge legal careers of their own, reimagining the traditional law firm. I’ve recently welcomed back two of Thrive Law’s solicitors from maternity leave, promoting them to Senior Associates, subverting the old status quo where mothers disappear from law firms. We support each other by working flexibly from day one and by open, honest communication. I cannot tell you how much this fills me with pride to see that a work-life balance can be achieved, giving women lawyers of the future opportunities beyond burnout or having to choose between family and career.  

“Recognising the skillset that women bring to law firms: empathy, understanding and perspective, all of which are highly desirable skills as a lawyer, celebrating our diversity and advocating for women in the workplace all go a long way to ensuring the future is bright for women in the legal profession in the UK.  We must embrace equity in the legal profession to achieve equality.”

Rachel Dunn, Director of Employability and Pro Bono: “I was fortunate enough to grow up in a household where women always worked, went back into education to retrain, and were the main breadwinners. There was very little patriarchy in our home, and gender inequality was a shock to me as I started to learn about and experience it. Watching the women in my life succeed taught me that anything is possible, and that we are extremely strong and resilient. This is something I have taken with me throughout my university experience and career. 

“That doesn't mean to say it is easy, however, and though there are more equal opportunities in law, there isn't always equity. It is everyone's responsibility to recognise where this lack of equity exists and to work to improve it. My advice is to trust your allies, both women and men, who will help to lift you up and encourage you. Find your role models and, once you get where you want to be, help other women to do the same and bring them along with you. We are all in this together!”

Leeds Law School

Our Law School sits in the heart of the great city of Leeds, one of the UK's largest legal hubs. It is perfectly placed to ensure all our undergraduate and postgraduate students are able to mine the wealth of practical experience and employment opportunities available on our doorstep.